Sign in to follow this  
Lozen

rolling/falling

Yeah I know that guy. Way too much ego.

I know. I'm picky.

Oh yeah, and you can't even go to his classes unless you join the foundation and unless you've trained with one of his students for six months or a year or something.

Edited by Lozen

Yeah I know that guy. Way too much ego.

I know. I'm picky.

Oh yeah, and you can't even go to his classes unless you join the foundation and unless you've trained with one of his students for six months or a year or something.

I know about that Ego of his first hand. It might be better to study with his students, but who knows?

What are you? The Goldilocks of Martial Arts? ;)

My advice, be less picky and prejudgemental, observe classes at the closest places to you. Often its not the art, but the teacher and the atmosphere of the place.

With the right sensei even the martial art tea ceremony style can be both satisfying and deadly :ph34r: (first make sure the tea is verry hot, then.. )

Michael

What are you? The Goldilocks of Martial Arts? ;)

Yes. What's wrong with finding a martial art that's "just right"? ;)

If I'm going to put a lot of time and money and energy into a class, I want to make sure I'm going to 1) be training with good people who don't have tons of ego, 2) learn techniques that are actually useful, 3) be in a good atmosphere where I feel comfortable... etc. etc. etc.

Edited by Lozen

Hmmnn, Whats wrong with fighting the martial art that's just right? IMHO the Universe rebells against just right.

You find a place thats comfortable, teaches great real world technique, but the teacher or a few students have big egos, or you find one w/ less 'real' technique but the people are wonderful. Or one where both are great, but its a cult and they'll want you to shave your head. :angry:

On the fourth hand, everything is great, its not a cult, but inevitably old students/instructors leave and are replaced by others. :mellow:

I'm just thinking that we shouldn't throw out good and/or very good, on the path to just right. Because its almost impossible to fully fathom a dojo or martia art from just a few visits.

Michael

Most important thing above all is to feel a connection with Sensei/Sifu/teacher(we don't really use the terms in BJJ, I always just address my teacher by his first name).

Then the training atmosphere and quality of students.

I wouldn't bother training under someone who isn't an expert(recognized by lineage and achievment) so it's got to be authentic..but of course the vibe has to be right .I have left dojo's with high ranking people because the vibe was fucked..basically too controlling and judgmental.

I don't mind my teacher critisizing my technique or whatever but don't want another Dad .One dad is already enough :lol:

Edited by Cameron

I hear ya Michael... But if you can choose between an art that seems like a good place to train and one where you see problems before they've even happened, why not go with the good one?

I don't mind some students having egos as long as we get to switch partners.

Most important thing above all is to feel a connection with Sensei/Sifu/teacher(we don't really use the terms in BJJ, I always just address my teacher by his first name).

Then the training atmosphere and quality of students.

I wouldn't bother training under someone who isn't an expert(recognized by lineage and achievment) so it's got to be authentic..but of course the vibe has to be right .I have left dojo's with high ranking people because the vibe was fucked..basically too controlling and judgmental.

I don't mind my teacher critisizing my technique or whatever but don't want another Dad .One dad is already enough :lol:

Here's another idea that I'm developing..today we have advantage of the internet to view video and read information that is unprecedented. My first love is chen taichi. I do have a teacher, but realize the limitations. He can certainly teach me the core curriculum, but after that it's really up to me. Being able to watch videos of masters in action does two things--first, you can actually sense the master's movements and try to match it to what you are experiencing..second, you actually see people doing stuff such as going down really low or punching with a slightly different mechanic, that can both challenge you and inspire you. So, basically what i'm saying that at least for Taichi, I can learn beyond my 'teacher'. Ultimately, I have to be my own teacher, but having so many resources at my disposal really helps.

T

Sign in to follow this