3bob

Sounds like a Taoist/Buddhist cross...

Where ?

In the various recollection of his past lives from different scriptures. In Buddhist scriptures from various sources, it's said that as one progresses one can remember past lives from previous world systems and universes, the deeper you go, the more you remember within the endlessness of your mind stream, but this is not a pre-requisite for enlightenment. Though remembering past lives is a side effect of deeper forms of meditation. Sorry, I don't have any exact places to quote from right now. I'd have to put in some re-researching. I'm just pulling from memory of what I've read.

But I think you just suggested that you and the Buddha hold to the Taoist concepts of cycles and reversion. That's great! Of course, it's too late for the Buddha to become a Taoist but there is still time for you.

Peace & LOve!

Actually the insight of cycles and reversion exists prier to the Buddha and is spoken about in the Vedas, the oldest known religious texts, as far as I know. From the early Vedic period before 2,000 B.C.E.

We all need read VJ with a filter capable of removing BS.

Peace & Love!

What you consider BS may merely be a revelation of the space of learning and experiencing you are still capable of opening up towards. What you don't understand now, could be revealed to you with clarity in the future as you progress in spirituality.

Don't limit me by your own self adhered to limitations.

Edited by Vajrahridaya

Actually the insight of cycles and reversion exists prier to the Buddha and is spoken about in the Vedas, the oldest known religious texts, as far as I know. From the early Vedic period before 2,000 B.C.E.

That's okay. They are still important concepts in Taoism and I hold them to be original thoughts by the Chinese even if they were already thoughts by other cultures.

Peace & Love!

What you consider BS may merely be a revelation of the space of learning and experiencing you are still capable of opening up towards. What you don't understand now, could be revealed to you with clarity in the future as you progress in spirituality.

Don't limit me by your own self adhered to limitations.

I know. I know. You and a few others have already mentioned this to me but I clearly explained that I wasn't into fortune telling.

Yes, I have my delusions but I know exactly what they are and they stay home whenever I go out in public.

Ah! My spiritual progress! Hehehe. No, I am not going to accept the concept of reincarnation of the Buddhist form. It just doesn't work for me. I am quite satisfied having had this life to live; I don't need another one, thank you.

Peace & Love!

Edit to add: No, I really try hard to not place limits on others, you included. But I am not going to passively accept everything anyone says. I may ask for support or I might just say, "That's BS." and allow whatever response the other offers.

I still haven't learned to cause this physical body of mine to fly from here to there but I can fly, in my mind, to my favorite place in Italy anytime I wish to go there.

We really do need to understand the limits of the physical as well as understand the unlimitedness of the spiritual.

Peace & Love!

Edited by Marblehead

Yes, I have my delusions but I know exactly what they are and they stay home whenever I go out in public.

Peace & Love!

Like the wild and ravenous dogs they are, biting people who try to pet them! Or the non-potty trained pups that they are... dropping liquid poop everywhere they go, maybe on peoples toes?

No, I'm just kidding!! You know I love you bro! :lol: :lol: :lol:

In the various recollection of his past lives from different scriptures. In Buddhist scriptures from various sources.

But not directly from the Buddha himself.

There is no proof that the Buddha did indeed say the things that were written down hundreds of years after his death.

I find it hard to comprehend that the amount of Buddhist literature supposedly attributed to the Buddha, could be memorized over many generations, before being written down.

That's okay. They are still important concepts in Taoism and I hold them to be original thoughts by the Chinese even if they were already thoughts by other cultures.

Peace & Love!

I think all Eastern spiritual traditions believe in the cycles and reversions. The entire spectrum of Eastern contemplative tradition is more cyclical than linear in the way of seeing things.

But not directly from the Buddha himself.

There is no proof that the Buddha did indeed say the things that were written down hundreds of years after his death.

I find it hard to comprehend that the amount of Buddhist literature supposedly attributed to the Buddha, could be memorized over many generations, before being written down.

The first texts were attributed to about the first 100 years after his death.

Also, it would be hard to believe considering the vast amount of distractions we have these days due to popular media. But, they just didn't have such things back then and the Monks just spent their entire days repeating and practicing the Buddhas words.

The past life stories are not so out of this world, if you start having direct experience of your own past lives. They become quite logical in fact.

Like the wild and ravenous dogs they are, biting people who try to pet them! Or the non-potty trained pups that they are... dropping liquid poop everywhere they go, maybe on peoples toes?

No, I'm just kidding!! You know I love you bro! :lol: :lol: :lol:

No, nothing quite so mean. But I can tell you that I never need lock the doors of my house and I have never had anyone invade my property.

I don't even get visited by the religious people in the area any more. That took a long time to design!

Reminds me. A few years ago three people, two guys and one woman, came to my door trying to sell me a security system for my house. I said I didn't need one and the woman asked, "Are you afraid that someone will break into your house?" I responded, "I am not afraid of anything." (And that was a true statement). The woman took a step by and just looked at me in wonder and one of the guys nodded his head approvingly.

My place is perfectly secure, the security being provided by Tao.

Peace & Love!

Edited by Marblehead

I think all Eastern spiritual traditions believe in the cycles and reversions. The entire spectrum of Eastern contemplative tradition is more cyclical than linear in the way of seeing things.

Agree. Western culture view of time is linear while Eastern is cyclical.

That was one of the hardest things for me to understand when I first started into Eastern philosophy.

But to all things there is a season. (I just wanted to say that.)

Peace & Love!

The past life stories are not so out of this world, if you start having direct experience of your own past lives. They become quite logical in fact.

Good try VJ. I am SOL because I didn't have any previous lives. Oh well. But then this life of mine is special and unique!

Peace & Love!

No, nothing quite so mean.

I know... just joking.

But I can tell you that I never need lock the doors of my house and I have never had anyone invade my property.

I don't even get visited by the religious people in the area any more. That took a long time to design!

I know, I read the story. :) Pretty cool.

Reminds me. A few years ago three people, two guys and one woman, came to my door trying to sell me a security system for my house. I said I didn't need one and the woman asked, "Are you afraid that someone will break into your house?" I responded, "I am not afraid of anything." (And that was a true statement). The woman took a step by and just looked at me in wonder and one of the guys nodded his head approvingly.

My place is perfectly secure, the security being provided by Tao.

Peace & Love!

Cool! :lol:

Well, I think we have succeeded in hijacking this thread of 3Bob's. Hehehe. He wasn't talking here anymore anyhow.

Yes, 3Bob, I agree that there are many similarities between all the Eastern philosophies and religions because of the culture of that part of the world.

I guess that is why Dwai and I get to agree on occasion and we are pretty far apart regarding our belif systems.

Too bad we don't have many Christians speaking up here becase there really are a lot of similarities between that philosophy (note I said philosophy and not religion) and the Eastern philosophies.

Peace & Love!

Agree. Western culture view of time is linear while Eastern is cyclical.

That was one of the hardest things for me to understand when I first started into Eastern philosophy.

But to all things there is a season. (I just wanted to say that.)

Peace & Love!

"but to all things there is a season".you,lao tzu and a few others agree with that.anything else after that is really unimportent.

"but to all things there is a season".you,lao tzu and a few others agree with that.anything else after that is really unimportent.

Are you politely telling me that I can shut up now? Hehehe.

It is said that timing is everything but tact is important too.

But I still have a lot to say so bear with me, Okay?

Be well and take care.

Peace & Love!

:rolleyes: i sincerely hope you didn't take it that way(although it appears you did).my intent is never to veil what i have to say,to you or anyone.i think we "know" each other well enough to know better.

but i must thank you for the laugh.

peace and love marblehead

:rolleyes: i sincerely hope you didn't take it that way(although it appears you did).my intent is never to veil what i have to say,to you or anyone.i think we "know" each other well enough to know better.

but i must thank you for the laugh.

peace and love marblehead

Hehehe. You surely know that I was just making a joke about that. No, I didn't take it that way at all. Yes, I felt I know you well enough else I would not have made the joke.

Peace & Love back at cha'.

And Happy Trails too!

BTW I don't use smilies much so you just have to read my facial expressions.

"BTW I don't use smilies much so you just have to read my facial expressions."

Now that's especially weird because your posts do give off a nice warm vibe.

IMO (and no offense VJ) the puppy in the room is definitely you :) But I like you too.

Thanks for the information on the sources of various symbols. It does, however, smack of artificially created linearity (like most recounts of History) rather than what IMO more likely happened, a mish-mash of cultural borrowings and impositions that were then streamlined as the accounts/dogmas were written out.

I wonder if that makes practice harder to grasp? Are the books keeping up with the people? How would the people know?

IMO (and no offense VJ) the puppy in the room is definitely you :) But I like you too.

A yogi is always young at heart, even if ancient in experience.

"Of course, it's too late for the Buddha to become a Taoist but there is still time for you."

:DB)

"Of course, it's too late for the Buddha to become a Taoist but there is still time for you."

:DB)

Silly wabbits... Buddhahood far and away transcends anything you who do not even know your past human lives can even grasp as of yet.

Silly wabbits... Buddhahood far and away transcends anything you who do not even know your past human lives can even grasp as of yet.

"May all beings (including silly wabbits) be happy"

Om Tat Sat, Om Tat Sat, Om Tat Sat, Om...

"May all beings (including silly wabbits) be happy"

Om Tat Sat, Om Tat Sat, Om Tat Sat, Om...

A good start to the 4 brahmaviharas.

The first cause being the Big Bang. The Big Bang happened because it had to happen. No further explanation necessary. (In fact, that is part of the unknowable.)

There are contending theories (see M-theory) that many physicists are subscribing to which make more sense than the Big Bang theory. These theories do not have time beginning at a single point and the big bang as a first cause, but rather the big bang as an effect of a previous cause.

Personally I think it makes much more sense for the creation of the universe to be preceded by a previous moment which caused that creation, such as the contraction of a previous universe or, like in m-theory, when two membranes touch each other, all of these theories have the common-sensical understanding that a causeless cause is absurd. Much more logical than "the first cause happened because it had to happen" - sounds very childish, sorry.