3bob

Buddhism refutes certain attachments

If it had any feelings, it would probably be quite annoyed at being denied the pleasures of the cool environment it found itself just a few moments ago.

Ah, there it is again, the enlightened insight that animals have no feelings. :rolleyes:

Generally, the man could have been mistaken about the power and character of an ant. Later after he fed the ant at the hut, there might appear a whole armada of ants having gotten the info that there is delicious food, invading the hut, eating from every kind of food they can find.

The big question is what the overall consequences are if we help someone who is incapable of honoring the help. With honoring I don't mean worshipping the helper, but reacting in a positive way.

So you have to have the strength to help someone, no matter what comes of it, or it will backfire on your own character. In a hardcore way, you could say that the man had the perception of a weak, minor little animal, raising himself to a high position, being benevolent.

No right or wrong, just some thoughts.

Another funny example would be the one of the bear and the honey: You have a picnic in the woods, a bear comes. 'Can I please have your honey sandwich?'. Here, enjoy it. 'I would really like to have the rest of the honey in the jar.'. Alright, I can get new honey everytime. If you love it so much. 'I will take the rest of your food now.' Now wait, I haven't eaten yet. At least leave some snack for me. 'No, I will take it all. Don't stop me, or I will bite you.'

The Leo Buscaglia poem is nice. But not always easy to just do things. If it were, she would have done it.

Edited by Hardyg

'No, I will take it all. Don't stop me, or I will bite you.'

And my response would likely be something like, "And if you continue to force yourself on me I will probably shoot you."

No, there are times when we have to say "Enough is enough."

Peace & Love!

BTW

What am I doing here in this Buddhist thread sidetracking the discussion?

Accidents happen.

Peace & Love!