adept

Taoism - A Small Insight

Well, y'all already know I watched it and that I have been rather outspoken about it.

Nothing more to say at the moment until someone stimulates my thoughts.

That's Tao too, you know.

Peace & Love!

I know, I'm just joshing with you all. :D

Hi Tao Apprentice,

Your words remind me of a line in a prayer that Ya Mu offers in his book "A Light Warrior's Guide to High Level Energy Healing."

We ask for wisdom, knowledge, and power --

power of, and for, the light.

May the power be tempered by knowledge,

may the knowledge be tempered by wisdom.

I actually just read Ya Mu's book and really enjoyed it.

BTW, The mountain scenery in that vid is astounding...

I read about Hua Shan years ago and made myself a promise to visit there one day.

That has yet to become a reality, but someday ....

I believe some of our board members have been.

There is no order within chaos. There is either order or chaos, based on your definition of these concepts of the human mind. Someone making statements like that should first ask themselves for clear definitions of the terms "order" and "chaos".

Quite often seeming contradictions are used by the ego to feign intellectual superiority, to difference yourself from others who are at least at first confused and thus don't understand. But you have the answer, you understand.

It's not always the case, because irony and contradiction are a part of our world, but often.

There is no order within chaos.

On the exterior of a storm it is completel chaos. But within, at the eye of the storm all is silent and peaceful.

Edited by Tao Apprentice

You equal a storm with a lack of peace. You equal certain forces of nature at work as chaos. And you interpret "within" locally, unlike it was meant. (Besides, if you say, the chaos is OUTSIDE of the storm and the order in its center, then what is the area covered by the storm itself? Hey, and where does the storm begin anyway? And why do you use the maximization of "complete" chaos?)

Edited by Hardyg

You equal a storm with a lack of peace. You equal certain forces of nature at work as chaos. And you interpret "within" locally, unlike it was meant. (Besides, if you say, the chaos is OUTSIDE of the storm and the order in its center, then what is the area covered by the storm itself? Hey, and where does the storm begin anyway? And why do you use the maximization of "complete" chaos?)

I'm not "interpreting" anything just giving you an example from nature. I have no deire to argue, you seem pretty set on your own views.

..., you seem pretty set on your own views.

I guess that's why I'm asking so many questions. :lol:

You can also find amazing things in fortune cookies. :)

Breaking news: Science of nihilism found more emptiness in nothing. :lol:

Lesson One: Are these dots ordered?

. . . . . . . .

Edited by Hardyg

Your dots are ordered.

Are you sure? There is a clearly visible gap in the pattern. Why are they ordered?

Are you sure? There is a clearly visible gap in the pattern. Why are they ordered?

And you have me at a disadvantage because if I said they were not ordered you would refer to the patterning of the dots and I would thereby be wrong again.

I looked at the patterning of the dots, not the individual dots when I offered my first response.

So there is neither right or wrong but only one's personal perception.

And actually, most of life is that way. Just a matter of perception.

If we look at life as good it will be good most of the time; if we look at it as bad it will be bad most of the time.

Once again my rose. If I look only at the flower I may injure myself by grabbing the thorny stem. If I look only at the thorny stem and avoid it entirely I am missing the beauty of the flower.

Life is to be looked at in its totality, not just those aspects we long for.

There is good and bad as observed by our dualistic thinking. But viewed in totality there is no good and bad there just "is".

Peace & Love!

That is what I wanted to convey. You COULD say there is order AND chaos in the dots, but it's merely an expression of a dualist view. Taken as a tool for philosophical or logical examination of the dots, it might be useful, but taking things like order and chaos as 'true' attributes of the dots would be misleading oneself. And the question is whether we have to make statements like that in the first place, because in a way it is totally trivial: Of course you can see a mixture of two extremes in everything there is.

That is what I wanted to convey. You COULD say there is order AND chaos in the dots, but it's merely an expression of a dualist view. Taken as a tool for philosophical or logical examination of the dots, it might be useful, but taking things like order and chaos as 'true' attributes of the dots would be misleading oneself. And the question is whether we have to make statements like that in the first place, because in a way it is totally trivial: Of course you can see a mixture of two extremes in everything there is.

Well, you took long enough getting to the point. Hehehe.

But I agree, saying either/or is dualistic thinking. However, our brain naturally works within the realm of dualities. You know, good/bad, hot/cold, etc. So in our pratical life, our interactions with others and our environment it is helpful to be able to think in dualistic terms.

But yet, at a personal level, if we wish to attain inner peace and contentment it is very helpful to be able to see beyond dualistic concepts. Oftentimes placing value judgements on conditions or events only cause us more confusion.

Peace & Love!