al.

Rolfing, Alignment, and Qigong

I had a rolfing assessment today, it was very interesting..

does anyone have any experience with this technique? there seems to be an overlap with qigong work, but also big differences..

i'm used to standing with my feet just slightly outside shoulder width, as in alot of tai chi, but i was told the natural way for the body to stand is with the legs directly under the hip joint, much closer together (maybe 5 inches). It doesn't engage the thigh muscles as much, but feels less stable.

another interesting thing was that once he could pinpoint the slight misalignments, it wasn't advised that i change the posture, but just notice it, as trying to put it back straight would just bring tension.

It would be interesting to hear if anyone has gone through the rolfing process and how it might compare with qigong postural training.

It seems there is great potential to bring this kind of bodywork (Eda Rolf, Thomas Myers, etc.) together with the eastern systems..

Peace

A

i'm used to standing with my feet just slightly outside shoulder width, as in alot of tai chi, but i was told the natural way for the body to stand is with the legs directly under the hip joint, much closer together (maybe 5 inches). It doesn't engage the thigh muscles as much, but feels less stable.

another interesting thing was that once he could pinpoint the slight misalignments, it wasn't advised that i change the posture, but just notice it, as trying to put it back straight would just bring tension.

Peace

A

Check out Wuji Qigong standing (Warriors of Stillness by Jan Diepersloot)

Edited by Baguakid

Hello,

I hope the Rolfing goes well for you. If you are interested in muscle realignment look into Graston Technique. My chiropractor has been doing if for me over the last month and I've had some pretty wonderful results. (Be ready for some serious discomfort though) Doing Zhan Zhuang after having my left shoulder worked over was like a revelation. You are right, the combination of these types of external therapies with the internal arts practice has great potential.

Free, open joints = free, open energy flow... very basically put and body alignment is just part of the picture but it is significant.

Best of Luck,

Russell

Northwest Internal Arts

I had a rolfing assessment today, it was very interesting..

does anyone have any experience with this technique? there seems to be an overlap with qigong work, but also big differences..

It would be interesting to hear if anyone has gone through the rolfing process and how it might compare with qigong postural training.

It seems there is great potential to bring this kind of bodywork (Eda Rolf, Thomas Myers, etc.) together with the eastern systems..

Peace

A

Interesting links, many thanks.

Turns out the next day after I had the rolfing, i woke up and put my back completely out, don't know what happened. Alongside this i was reaally ill and throwing up! It could have been something else, but interesting nonetheless..

Sometimes the smallest movements can create the biggest changes

A

Hello,

I hope the Rolfing goes well for you. If you are interested in muscle realignment look into Graston Technique. My chiropractor has been doing if for me over the last month and I've had some pretty wonderful results. (Be ready for some serious discomfort though) Doing Zhan Zhuang after having my left shoulder worked over was like a revelation. You are right, the combination of these types of external therapies with the internal arts practice has great potential.

Free, open joints = free, open energy flow... very basically put and body alignment is just part of the picture but it is significant.

Why did they have to totally rebrand "gua sha" as the "Graston Technique?" Couldn't they just call it "Graston Gua Sha" or something?

gs07-mini_1.jpg

What is gua sha ( guasha )?

In chinese,"gua" means rub,scrape or friction, and "sha" is a 'reddish, elevated, millet-like skin rash' (aka petechiae). sha is a term used to describe blood stasis in the subcutaneous tissue before and after it is raised as petechiae. When scraping is applied to related skin with moderate strokes, the sha will surfaces on the skin as small red petechiae. In minutes the petechiae will fade into echymotic patches. The color and rate of fading are indicators for the diagnostic and prognostic.Gua sha is one technique that intentionally raises sha rash or petechiae. and gua sha is absolutely a natural theraphy and no need any medicine which more or less have harm to human body.

Gua sha ( guasha )Theory ?

Raising 'Sha' removes blood stagnation considered pathogenic, promoting normal circulation and metabolic processes.Means It will move the stuck qi and blood,releases the exterior mimicking sweating, and moves Fluids. In a modern medical construct these fluids contain metabolic waste that congested the surface tissues and muscles. So the person who receiving gua sha theraphy will probably experiences immediate relief from pain, stiffness, fever, chill, cough, nausea, and so on. Also with mental sress too for relaxations. There will be immediate changes in their conditions.Gua sha is extreamly simple and usefull treatment for external and internal conditions and treats both acute and chronic disorders.Gua sha is also very easy and almost non-cost healing method and most poeple can do gua sha at their home.

What does gua sha ( guasha ) do?

Gua sha does numerous things for the body. It moves stuck blood, promoting normal circulation to the muscles, tissues, and organs directly beneath the surface treated. So the patient will experiences immediate changes in stiffness, pain and mobility. Normal metabolic processes are restored by the movement of fluids as nutrients are carried to the tissues and metabolic wastes are carried away. Because gua sha mimics sweating, it resolves fever. Gua sha cools the patient who is overheated, warms the patient who is chilled, nourishes the patient who is deficient, and clears the patient who is excess. Gua Sha is therefore considered an adaptogenic technique.

A care provider considers gua sha in any case of pain or discomfort, for upper respiratory or digestive problems, and for any condition where palpation indicates there is sha.

Who need gua sha ( guasha )?

Gua sha is used for pain associated with an acute or chronic disorder. The affected person may feel aching, tenderness or a knotted feeling in the muscles. When normal finger pressure on the person's skin causes blanching that is slow to fade, sha may be suspected. Gua sha is used to treat and prevent acute conditions such as common cold or flu, asthma, bronchitis as well as chronic problems involving pain and congestion of the qi and blood.

You can safely do gua sha yourself too:
Apply Gua Sha oil to the affected area. Gua Sha oil is specifically blended with herbs or essential oils that promote the release of toxins that block Qi and healthy blood flow. You also may use massage oil.

Use a soup spoon or a coin as used in Asia. Press down firmly, scraping the tool along the length of the affected muscle or along acupuncture meridians.

Apply rapid 5-inch strokes. Create sufficient friction to raise the Sha, the toxins that flood to the skin's surface and the actual removal of disease in the body.

Determine the type of toxicity released. Red spots indicate the release of toxins. Very old and stagnant blood raises purple coloration. Dark green signifies stagnant blood and toxic Qi. A green glow that turns red is a symptom of pain or stagnant Qi. Remember that these are negative conditions being released and are signs of healing.

Recognize negative Qi. Dead Qi has been stagnant for a long time and causes oxygen deprivation in the system. This is an extremely harmful form and can lead to cancer cell growth. Stagnant Qi is always associated with pain and indicates sedentary lifestyle, overweight, heart and other organ issues. Toxic Qi means that waste and other toxins have accumulated. Toxic Qi can lead to very serious health problems.

Tell your subject that the discolorations will pass in a few days and that they are signs of healing. Toxins are being released and replaced by healthy, oxygen-rich blood and fluids.

I would recommend using your own personal set of tools & sterilizing them...and not just any spoon or coin. That's kinda nasty for the next user. :lol:

This guy recommends some GOST tools as far cheaper subs for Graston tools (which apparently are a few G's apiece!).

Well, Graston works more on muscle adhesions rather than blood stasis, etc. Different theoretical viewpoints behind the procedures. Plus, I think Graston goes deeper/harder. Personally, I think it's kinda BS.

Graston is similar in principle to myofascial release techniques, which are probably more effective.

A cool thing that's been popular recently is kinesio tape. I think that looks REALLY promising for posture work, but you need someone well trained and educated to apply it. Lots of Olympians use the stuff.

Another thing is to consider proprioception in posture work...one exercise from Mary Bond's New Rules of Posture is to imagine and feel that your wisdom teeth (even if you don't have them anymore) are separating and returning to normal with the inhale/exhale. Another mental exercise I heard of was imagining your collarbones are blinking eyes. There is a lot of potential in these types of exercises to create better posture.

Our Taoist practices should help, as well.

Interesting links, many thanks.

Turns out the next day after I had the rolfing, i woke up and put my back completely out, don't know what happened. Alongside this i was reaally ill and throwing up! It could have been something else, but interesting nonetheless..

Sometimes the smallest movements can create the biggest changes

A

Too bad - this harsh type therapy is unnecessary.