SFJane

Pushups as conditioning

I like to do my pushups in a yoga style. Very slow, really feeling the way my joints and muscles work through the posture (I do circular Hindi pushups) and stopping once I start to become breathless and mouth breath.

Perhaps a bit unusual, but it works for me and makes pushups an enjoyable activity that I look forward to doing everyday (except at the moment as I can't painlessly hyper extend my back :()

That would be very impressive! How close are you to this goal?

very very far away...

I can only do 60 on my knuckles in one set. Better than when I first started tai chi though, I was at 9 pushups.

Doing push ups really slow doesn't do much, unless you're talking taking 1-3 minutes to do a single repetition slow.

For upper body strength I'd say 20 Pull Ups and a single set of 80 Push Ups shows a good degree of strength and ability.

1-3mins sounds right, 30 seconds down and 30 up done 10 times without break would show great endurance. Static holds are also good for building a very supportive body.

My pull ups lack bigtime too at about 10 max. In terms of pullups, 20 seems a far ways away too.

1-3mins sounds right, 30 seconds down and 30 up done 10 times without break would show great endurance. Static holds are also good for building a very supportive body.

My pull ups lack bigtime too at about 10 max. In terms of pullups, 20 seems a far ways away too.

http://webpages.charter.net/bert/reconron.html

This will get you there. I can't do 20 anymore but that's because I have gained 30lbs, so they have gone down to 15.

If you want to develop punching power...i say drop the pushups and spend the time practicing uh...... your punching speed and technique! The real power is delivered in the final inch or two of the motion - "one inch punch"

For that devastating punch you'd better train your legs cos it's the muscle power anchored from the ground up that is transmitted through the shoulders and arms that delivers the maximum power.