mindspring

Are there differences between the various qigong practices and how do I choose the right one for me?

this is just my opinion....

since you are a beginner...unable to tell good from bad....probably choosing a safer 'type' of qigong practise will be good...what do you think ?

Healing qigong is the safest out of the 3 categories.

Martial art qigong Can have healing side-benefits but dont mistake its real purpose, to develop 'hard qi' for fighting.

Spiritual qigong....do you really want to blunder about with this type ??

so healing qigong is definitely the safest for a beginner to start off with, and i personally find those that require NO THINKING to move the qi as SAFER then those that require you to think where the qi is going.

this is the truth, there are really many practitioners out there who have Blocked energy points after using their mind to direct the qi, and they might not even notice it or they might be aware of 'something' but brush it off as harmless

so what i am saying, is its safer for a beginner to Start with healing type qigong which requires zero imagination

after some safe experience with qigong, you will be better prepared to venture forth

Edited by SingaporeGuyHere

Thanks for the insight SingaporeGuy (and everyone else too)!

Having done more research now, I agree that martial & spiritual qigong is better learnt from a live teacher especially if you're a beginner.

When I started this thread I was very confused with all the different practices out there. Thanks to everyone's input, I've realised that it's better to start with a basic form of qigong, instead of going after esoteric practices straightaway where the risk for injury is much greater.

So I've got myself a copy of Spring Forest Qigong (which I've noticed is also advertised on this site), a healing-oriented qigong. There's some visualisation involved, but nothing too complicated. The exercises are simple, but I think it'll take me five years to fully master the first level alone. I might request a practice journal here on TaoBums to record my progress.

Perhaps I'll explore other forms as I get more experieced- Ken Cohen's qigong book/DVD set might be my next purchase.

Right now my biggest challenge will be practicing consistently. I've attempted to meditate in the past but I'd stop after a few days or weeks. My next goal isto make qigong a daily routine.

Having done more research now, I agree that martial & spiritual qigong is better learnt from a live teacher especially if you're a beginner.

When I started this thread I was very confused with all the different practices out there. Thanks to everyone's input, I've realised that it's better to start with a basic form of qigong, instead of going after esoteric practices straightaway where the risk for injury is much greater.

So I've got myself a copy of Spring Forest Qigong (which I've noticed is also advertised on this site), a healing-oriented qigong. There's some visualisation involved, but nothing too complicated. The exercises are simple, but I think it'll take me five years to fully master the first level alone. I might request a practice journal here on TaoBums to record my progress.

Perhaps I'll explore other forms as I get more experieced- Ken Cohen's qigong book/DVD set might be my next purchase.

Right now my biggest challenge will be practicing consistently. I've attempted to meditate in the past but I'd stop after a few days or weeks. My next goal isto make qigong a daily routine.

I have never tried it but everyone seems to agree the springforest stuff is very good. You could add the inner smile :)

good luck with your practise !

Currently my exercise regimen consists of gym workouts, however in the future I'd like to complement my gym work with a soft-style martial art like tai-chi. So it's good to know that mastering the microcosmic orbit can help with learning martial arts.

Tai chi has many aspects to it. The practice of Tai chi can be used to understand conflict in your world and will show you how to utilize those karma's that arise out of conflict.

Look deeper and see if you can find a path of no conflict.

Cool. Just adding a little word change really helped me in my quest.

I tend to think of a "basic practice" as something to be learnt and then dropped, moving on to intermediate and then advanced.

But I now prefer to think in terms of fundamental or foundation practices. To me that change of wording gives "basic" practices the respect they deserve. Building a strong foundation is the basis of everything that follows and while they may appear simple they are so often extremely important.

My next goal is to make qigong a daily routine.

I feel that is an excellent goal and wish you all the best.