UTI

Ginseng vs. Arctic root

What is your experience (if you have any) concerning arctic root/ginseng to raise jing production? I use Arctic root daily for my cultivation, and am contemplating switching to trying ginseng. But, good ginseng is hard to get by, and I hear it may also lead to increased production of estrogen. Arctic root is easier to get by, acts quicker, and it doesn't have to grow for 25 years on a mountaintop... Ginseng however is more traditional, and as I've understood it (I may very well be wrong) it promotes the conversion of jing to qi.

Any ideas?

What is your experience (if you have any) concerning arctic root/ginseng to raise jing production? I use Arctic root daily for my cultivation, and am contemplating switching to trying ginseng. But, good ginseng is hard to get by, and I hear it may also lead to increased production of estrogen. Arctic root is easier to get by, acts quicker, and it doesn't have to grow for 25 years on a mountaintop... Ginseng however is more traditional, and as I've understood it (I may very well be wrong) it promotes the conversion of jing to qi.

Any ideas?

Hi there. I am not sure how many folks here know that "Arctic root" is another name for Rhodiola rosea.

In my experience Arctic root is a good adaptogen with mild heat compared to ginseng. Also IME rhodiola is astringent and therefore a bit drying. It is a quite limited approach to chose only between two stimulative adaptogens like rhodiola and ginseng. but if I were to make a comparison between the two I would say that ginseng is more of a sexual tonic than rhodiola. about promoting jing to qi conversion, yours is the first time I have seen ginseng described this way.

Probably most experienced cultivators who utilize external alchemy like herbs would suggest a more balanced approach using formulae and not just single herbs. However modern western approach to use of adaptogens does focus on one herb or so at a time. I think Arctic root is a good choice for regular use. Rather than switching away from arctic root maybe you would do better just to go off use of it for one week out of eight or some such cycle which is often suggested for adaptogens to maintain high effectiveness.

good luck

Craig

Thanks for the reply!

I honestly don't know where I picked up that jing to qi thing either.

I use Arctic root as a part of a formula, not just alone, and I have it as a cycle of three weeks on, one off. Maybe I should have mentioned it... I also eat gojis and liquorice root (or drink it as tea), and take gotu kola, noni and birch ash. How I use them varies a lot, but I eat more goji when I am too fiery, use the liquorice when I get stagnant, drink noni 1 in 3 months for detoxish purposes, birch ash and gotu kola daily for balancing body/mind. So what I want is something that doesn't cause too much heat, and increases jing->qi->shen. From your descriptions, though, it sounds like arctic root is a good choice.

You say that it is limited to choose between those two, what other alternatives are there? The only others I know of that may be used in the context are perhaps ashwagandha and schizandra. I started using arctic root mostly because it was real hyped here in sweden 5-6 years ago, and thus easy to find and relatively cheap. I am definately open to better alternatives though, since I pretty much piece it together myself from gut feeling.

Any ideas?

To me, Gensing is like a drug. Although others have their opinions too. - And there is a type of brandy made in China that is probably sold in Chinatowns that has a gensing root in it. It comes in 1/2 pint glass bottles.