suninmyeyes

are you ever gonna die?

TzuJanLi has a good point. I don't know if I'll ever die. I personally am looking forward (not in a rush to get there at all though) to find out what's going to happen. However, what does it really matter? It seems to me that whether we die or not shouldn't really impact our lives, and all we can do for now is live. So lets do that.

im wondering what you think if there is a total rest ,COMPLETE death,cessation on all levels of existance?is it a point of view only,or point of no view that lives in silence ?

Either way, what you are describing here is a state of consciousness, therefore it is a form of life. Death, insofar it is a process you can observe is a modification of structures within consciousness, at every single point of its happening.

or are we ever new and everdying with every thought?is the real rest in acceptance of whatever is happening?

Yes, that too. We are ever perishing and ever renewing. This is not a contradiction either. It's the same happening expressed in different ways.

what is your understanding or opinion?

It's what I am typing. :)

would you like to die completley really?

sorry english is not my first language,hope i made myself understood.

I've died a number of times. I think the word "complete" has no meaning when it comes to death. When I died deeply enough, the concerns of completeness were simply irrelevant.

Consider this. Every happening is a modification of consciousness. Therefore consciousness is neither born nor does it ever die, because modifications of consciousness only affect the forms of consciousness but not its being. In fact, if you search for the being of consciousness, it's impossible to find it, yet obviously we are conscious. So from this point of view, insofar as you and I are consciousness, we weren't actually born, and we won't die either.

At the same time, we conceive of ourselves in terms of attributes that are attached to a mental hook of a sort. So the hook is what we call "self". So imagine a hook on the wall. And you begin to hang different garments on it. These garments define who you are as a person. So you say, "I am tall", "I am a liberal/conservative person." "I am generous/greedy." "I like/hate ice cream" and so on. Each time you describe yourself and differentiate yourself from potential others, you create a garment, and this garment then goes on this hook. Without the hook, these garments would fall off and would have no anchoring point.

So from this point of view, you are exactly this hook with enough garments on it to be able to recognize yourself. So if you remove the hook such that the garments fall off it, or if you remove enough garments from the hook, such that you can no longer recognize yourself, we consider this death. In this sense, we will all die, everything will perish eventually. That's because attributes are always in flux. So the garments sort of have a life of their own. And even the hook has sort of life of its own too. And eventually, one way or another, there will be a separation, which the mind perceives as death, due to non-recognition of whatever it is you think you should look and feel like to yourself. In this sense, we begin dying as soon as we are born. Also we begin rebirth as soon as we begin to die, which is as soon as we are born.

That's my opinion.

im wondering what you think if there is a total rest ,COMPLETE death,cessation on all levels of existance?is it a point of view only,or point of no view that lives in silence ?

or are we ever new and everdying with every thought?is the real rest in acceptance of whatever is happening?

live today as if your death will happen at any moment then you will begin to know for yourself what the answers to your questions may be.

live today as if your death will happen at any moment then you will begin to know for yourself what the answers to your questions may be.

Absolutely ShaktiMama!! :):)

Death actually CAN happen at any moment! It is happening at every moment - but then so is rebirth

and regeneration. All just cycles within cycles within cycles ad infinitum... When the center is found,

one transcends life and death, and all cyclical existence is done away with! The practice of abiding

in total equanimity is that which connects one's being to this 'non-dual eye' of existence. It is the

stateless state of calm-abiding in all the Noble Ones.

A commentary on the qualities of Equanimity, if one chooses to explore further:

http://www.insightmeditationcenter.org/boo...les/equanimity/

Equanimity is developed on 3 levels - gross, subtle, and innermost. Although it appears as

3 distinct levels, in actuality all 3 are cultivated simultaneously when one begins to integrate

the outer, relative practices into one's being. Many make the mistake of looking beyond this

outer level, under the selfish belief that there are deep, mystical powers to be had by attempting

to go straight for the innermost practices, but this is a wrong view. By remaining focussed

on the outer practices, the subtle and innermost realizations will come to fruition in all manner

of mysterious unfoldings and insights. When one's outer view is transformed, it is only natural

the inner view becomes transformed at the same time. The principle is like this.

#Please note that the cultivation of Equanimity is the precursor to the development of altruistic,

pervasive Compassion. Without this foundation, compassion remains at best a word, a meaning-

less concept. #

All the best! A peaceful year ahead to all fellow T/Bums! :D

The Physics of Immortality

http://www.amazon.com/Physics-Immortality-...n/dp/0385467990

An independent opinion:

http://www.johnreilly.info/immort.htm