mewtwo

Iron palm taugh with instructor or through book?

What about my theory and is there an iron palm type thing like i that? I porved my theory correct in finding info on the internet. Well it really was not my theory but iron shirt or golden bell qigong.

Edited by mewtwo

Greetings..

Without the qualified observer to make the corrections the student can't see or feel, the likelihood is that the student will do more damage than learn a complex and powerful system.. in this instance, it would be arrogant and egotistical to believe you can actually 'get it' from books or videos.. imagine doing 200 strikes per surface, per day, per hand.. and, making even one mistake, practicing it continuously for 100 days.. and, the chances are that the student will make many mistakes.. it's a very precise system.. don't deceive yourself..

Be well..

Greetings, I just read this thread about iron palm and am jumping in late. I like your thoughtful and experienced opinion about learning Iron Palm training from a book or video and generally agree with you.

Beginners should definitely not try Iron Palm training without masterful supervision. In fact, beginners shouldn't even be learning Iron Palm (but that's just my orthodox opinion).

I would say that much depends on (a) the practitioner's level and also (B) which published Iron Palm system the person is trying to learn:

a. If one is a certified/sanctioned instructor in a kung-fu system and has already one or two Iron Palm systems under one's belt, then I would venture to say that a person with that level (such as Spirit Ape) might get by if the teacher of the new IP system put the complete training and tips and "troubleshooting" advice in the book or video as well. The student then at least has solid background in a different system to fall back to and "triangulate" or do "sanity check" should anything seem to go awry.

btw, Spirit Ape and I trained at different times with the same 6th-generation grandmaster (lineage holder) of the White Tiger Kung-fu (Bai Fu Pai) system and learned many other arts under his umbrella. Spirit Ape was recently sanctioned to publish this Grandmaster's Iron Palm system on DVD...just as I was encouraged and permitted to publish on video a healing qigong system by the same grandmaster called "Flying Phoenix Celestial Healing Chi meditations" (Fei Fung San Gung) in 1996. Thus, out of respect to the grandmaster alone, I would say that Spirit Ape's forthcoming DVD on Bai Fu Pai's "Burning Palm" System is probably safe for an advanced student to do.

This ever advancing age of media technology does add strange wrinkles to our ancient martial traditions, doesn't it?

A'ho Mitaque Oaysen!

(Lakota Indian expression: Help and Health to all my brothers and sisters!)

Greetings, I just read this thread about iron palm and am jumping in late. I like your thoughtful and experienced opinion about learning Iron Palm training from a book or video and generally agree with you.

Beginners should definitely not try Iron Palm training without masterful supervision. In fact, beginners shouldn't even be learning Iron Palm (but that's just my orthodox opinion).

I would say that much depends on (a) the practitioner's level and also (B) which published Iron Palm system the person is trying to learn:

a. If one is a certified/sanctioned instructor in a kung-fu system and has already one or two Iron Palm systems under one's belt, then I would venture to say that a person with that level (such as Spirit Ape) might get by if the teacher of the new IP system put the complete training and tips and "troubleshooting" advice in the book or video as well. The student then at least has solid background in a different system to fall back to and "triangulate" or do "sanity check" should anything seem to go awry.

btw, Spirit Ape and I trained at different times with the same 6th-generation grandmaster (lineage holder) of the White Tiger Kung-fu (Bai Fu Pai) system and learned many other arts under his umbrella. Spirit Ape was recently sanctioned to publish this Grandmaster's Iron Palm system on DVD...just as I was encouraged and permitted to publish on video a healing qigong system by the same grandmaster called "Flying Phoenix Celestial Healing Chi meditations" (Fei Fung San Gung) in 1996. Thus, out of respect to the grandmaster alone, I would say that Spirit Ape's forthcoming DVD on Bai Fu Pai's "Burning Palm" System is probably safe for an advanced student to do.

This ever advancing age of media technology does add strange wrinkles to our ancient martial traditions, doesn't it?

A'ho Mitaque Oaysen!

(Lakota Indian expression: Help and Health to all my brothers and sisters!)

Patiently awaiting the first installment! :)