Encephalon

Laughing at suffering

This thread causes suffering. Please kill it.

With all due respect, Blasto - this thread has helped to remind and reinforce the importance of transforming the way the mind view things, so it did not cause me any suffering. According to the teachings of the Buddha, whatever situation arises can be viewed in two ways basically. The situation itself is neither good nor bad, ugly nor beautiful, cruel nor kind. Essentially, it is the deluded mind that ascertains and projects distinctions, values, judgements and prejudices, giving rise to dualistic perceptions, which is the root cause of grasping and aversion. This in turn gives rise to dissatisfaction, creating the false notions that things are not okay in themselves, that we constantly and habitually have to 'do' this or that to 'make' things happen, thereby trapping ourselves in the illusion that we can 'will' change, and before we know it, a lifetime passes, and towards the end of it all, many are left bewildered, due to the hapless realization that they have not 'done' enough in this lifetime, hence a dissatisfactory passing into death, with the final thoughts focussed on all that is left undone, hence the 'need' for the consciousness to return for another lifetime, and another, to complete the mission, so to speak.

But if the mind can be transformed, then every perception or action that is carried out can be done with pure and utter mindfulness, complete, and with closure. Hence little or no residual thoughts remain that things are 'undone'. This can be habituated, and when 'transcendent insight' permeates the mindstream, then at the end of our lives, chances are we can leave without regret, allowing then for the possibility of an auspicious rebirth in the 'higher' realms.

This is my own surface interpretation of the teachings on karma and rebirth, which may or may not be shared by other Buddhists.

When i first viewed the video you posted, the first question i asked myself was, what is the right way to look at this apparently debasing image? Then i thought to myself, if just one of these diners, sometime after the 'party', can recall his/her participation and have connected with it in such a way where it would generate some disgust and remorse, and then vow never to take part in such atrocious and senseless acts again, then the fish would not have 'suffered' in vain for its contribution to the whole episode, and that would indeed make the fish some kind of a 'teacher' in the process, hence my allusion that the fish was indeed a Boddhisattva. In my view, any animate or inanimate object that can wake us up, or teach us a life lesson, can be regarded as a Boddhisattva, even a pebble that gets into one's shoe, for that matter.

This is my contribution anyway. If this has offended anyone, apologies.

Edited by CowTao

With all due respect, Blasto - this thread has helped to remind and reinforce the importance of transforming the way the mind view things, so it did not cause me any suffering. According to the teachings of the Buddha, whatever situation arises can be viewed in two ways basically. The situation itself is neither good nor bad, ugly nor beautiful, cruel nor kind. Essentially, it is the deluded mind that ascertains and projects distinctions, values, judgements and prejudices, giving rise to dualistic perceptions, which is the root cause of grasping and aversion. This in turn gives rise to dissatisfaction, creating the false notions that things are not okay in themselves, that we constantly and habitually have to 'do' this or that to 'make' things happen, thereby trapping ourselves in the illusion that we can 'will' change, and before we know it, a lifetime passes, and towards the end of it all, many are left bewildered, due to the hapless realization that they have not 'done' enough in this lifetime, hence a dissatisfactory passing into death, with the final thoughts focussed on all that is left undone, hence the 'need' for the consciousness to return for another lifetime, and another, to complete the mission, so to speak.

But if the mind can be transformed, then every perception or action that is carried out can be done with pure and utter mindfulness, complete, and with closure. Hence little or no residual thoughts remain that things are 'undone'. This can be habituated, and when 'transcendent insight' permeates the mindstream, then at the end of our lives, chances are we can leave without regret, allowing then for the possibility of an auspicious rebirth in the 'higher' realms.

This is my own surface interpretation of the teachings on karma and rebirth, which may or may not be shared by other Buddhists.

When i first viewed the video you posted, the first question i asked myself was, what is the right way to look at this apparently debasing image? Then i thought to myself, if just one of these diners, sometime after the 'party', can recall his/her participation and have connected with it in such a way where it would generate some disgust and remorse, and then vow never to take part in such atrocious and senseless acts again, then the fish would not have 'suffered' in vain for its contribution to the whole episode, and that would indeed make the fish some kind of a 'teacher' in the process, hence my allusion that the fish was indeed a Boddhisattva. In my view, any animate or inanimate object that can wake us up, or teach us a life lesson, can be regarded as a Boddhisattva, even a pebble that gets into one's shoe, for that matter.

This is my contribution anyway. If this has offended anyone, apologies.

You are right, this thread did help to clarify an important subject. I am feeling compelled to conclude that it is the nature of anonymous, impersonal, non-fact to face, online communication that contributes to dreadful bouts of miscommunication, ill will, confusion, and spite. Since most of my life has been spent without the internet, I should just accept this reality and move on. But I do miss the days of clear thinking and the joy to be had in the life of the mind and ideas.