Sign in to follow this  
enouch

CHI...MORE IMPORTANT THAN YOUTH,SIZE OR STRENGTH?

Greetings..

Hi Vortex: I agree with much of what you said in the last post, i feel the effects of training for 45 years (i'm 59).. i still train semi-pro fighters, not the whole game anymore, though.. my partner handles grappling/BJJ/and 'hard' takedowns.. i assist once on the ground.. i teach a combat level of QiNa and Internal principles applied to MT and standard 'ring skills'.. my 'go to' skills are Taiji, richly flavored with QiNa and Aikido.. but, i'm noticing a serious 2 day lag between heavy contact sessions, for two days i'm so sore even my ear-lobes hurt..

I'm beginning to favor a more contemplative perspective.. fortunately, i have matured into the perspective of, use only enough 'Art' to neutralize conflict.. there is no winner when someone "wins".. or, as my partner likes to see it: The opponent will determine how much 'art' is needed.. anyway, the last 20 years have been very focused on Internals, refining Qi.. no, not 'fireballs' (that has a painfully sinister interpretation).. refining the physical structure, its movements, alignments, diet, flexibility, and, yes 'strength'.. but, not as in muscle mass, i never work with weights that exceed my body weight (+/- 150 lbs.), and only work weight that incorporates whole body movement.. 'my' goal is to refine the structure that is animated by Qi such that it is the most efficient and effective 'conduit' for converting Qi to physical 'intention' (Yi leads Qi)..

Sorry, i rambled a bit much.. Be well..

Hi all, I've trained with Kumar before, so I thought I'd chime in.

He is quite well experienced as a fighter, and my first class with him was on fighting applications. It was pretty rough stuff, and I thought they seemed pretty effective to me.

Afterward I asked him why we didn't jump rope and hit bags, but instead worked on awareness, relaxation and using fluidity in movement to get power. He said that those types of training are fine, and needed along the way. However, using these internal principles was what enabled guys like Dong Hai Quan and Yang Lu Chan to win brutal challenge matches during the late 1800's when fighting for your life was an common activity in the martial arts world. He said that he had taken these training methods and put them to the test in security, street, sport and challenge match situations and that they worked incredibly well.

That was his experience and that of his teachers. Whether any of them would have won the UFC or not is not really the issue. If you take this material, train it and test it, you can find the truth in it. If you don't go through that process, then don't waste time speculating, just go for what works for you.

Fanboys who claim that Internal is teh best are as bad as nutriders who hate all kungfu. Neither speak from experience. Personally I've never been in a real fight so I can't claim that the Chinese martial arts I have trained work in fighting. But in sparring they've served me well. Plus they are fun to train.

Take care,

Jess O'Brien

Greetings..

Hi Jess: Sounds like a well-rounded perspective.. i haven't trained with BKF, but some of my mentors speak well of him.. My training is not intended to make me superior to anyone else, only expand the potential of the being i have become.. one of my mentors, Chan Pui, says: "learn self-control and others will be no problem".. while i don't care for the term 'control', i understand his meaning..

Be well..

Anyhow, martial arts is still really cool, but nearly useless today. The chances of anyone ever having to really use it in a real life situation are just slim to none now. That's essentially why I stopped practicing, because it seemed to be increasing investment for diminishing returns.

A system with proper conditioning and training will, through exercise, balance your brain's neurotransmitter levels and increase BDNF production to stimulate the growth of your brain, and improve learning, alertness, and attention while fighting off aging, ADHD, stress and depression. Soft and gentle qigong just doesn't have as definite of an effect and doesn't work as well on some people. But I believe a person needs both, hard and soft, to be the healthiest that he/she can be. Saying one way is good and the other way is useless is a mistake.

I agree, however ONLY after a certain point (many hundreds of hours or more of meditation). Which very few will probably ever reach. However, if they do, the upside is far beyond any norms reachable by purely physical means.

Perhaps something like this:

physicalvsqigong.jpg

Any research to support this, or is it pure spiritual conjecture?

Hadn't heard that. What invaders?

I mean, it's not like they "should" have known martial arts, anyways. They were monks secluding themselves from society to seek spiritual advancement, for gawdsakes. So that would be like telling a bunch of peaceful nuns in a convent that they need to learn MMA. :lol:

Anyhow, martial arts is still really cool, but nearly useless today. The chances of anyone ever having to really use it in a real life situation are just slim to none now. That's essentially why I stopped practicing, because it seemed to be increasing investment for diminishing returns. I still love the sheer art of it, but in reality - our greater "enemies" now are primarily health-related (aging, sickness, illness, etc). So, qigong for health and spiritual growth are where I prefer to put my focus on now.

Vortex,

Sun Lu-Tang was asked by someone what the role of martial arts was, at a time when guns were becoming the weapon of choice.

Do you remember his response?

I used to have a tai chi instructor who said he thought that Tyson was trained in internal force.

Not just because of his punching power but his ability to take shot's off guy's that wieghed 3 stone more than

him.

sabretooth.

I heard the very same thing about Tyson's punches in a seminar today.

Hadn't heard that. What invaders?

I mean, it's not like they "should" have known martial arts, anyways. They were monks secluding themselves from society to seek spiritual advancement, for gawdsakes. So that would be like telling a bunch of peaceful nuns in a convent that they need to learn MMA. :lol:

Anyhow, martial arts is still really cool, but nearly useless today. The chances of anyone ever having to really use it in a real life situation are just slim to none now. That's essentially why I stopped practicing, because it seemed to be increasing investment for diminishing returns. I still love the sheer art of it, but in reality - our greater "enemies" now are primarily health-related (aging, sickness, illness, etc). So, qigong for health and spiritual growth are where I prefer to put my focus on now.

This is a second hand story, but a fight breaks out in Rivergate Mall, which is in Nashville Tennessee. One of the kids whips out a gun to go help his buddy. It just so happens that a wingchun teacher was standing next to him, he reaches over and grabs the kid by the bottom lip and slings him to the floor. The kid lets the gun go as he is falling.

Should you test out your MA on guys with guns? Probably not, but I have been at that same mall and seen some brawls break out...the most recent one started 5 feet away from me.

Best form of self defense is avoidance, but you can't avoid every confrontation.

I heard the very same thing about Tyson's punches in a seminar today.

This is a second hand story, but a fight breaks out in Rivergate Mall, which is in Nashville Tennessee. One of the kids whips out a gun to go help his buddy. It just so happens that a wingchun teacher was standing next to him, he reaches over and grabs the kid by the bottom lip and slings him to the floor. The kid lets the gun go as he is falling.

Should you test out your MA on guys with guns? Probably not, but I have been at that same mall and seen some brawls break out...the most recent one started 5 feet away from me.

Best form of self defense is avoidance, but you can't avoid every confrontation.

but you can't avoid every confrontation.

Even if you have diamonds and pearls? Or standing under a cherry moon? Or part of the new power generation? Yeah! I guess there will always be thieves in the temple! You don't have to be rich..Never mind!

Anyway, some have emailed me wanting data on Wang shu Jin: Wang emphasized deep breathing and a relaxed powerful belly.He stressed practicing splitting the first movement from h-sing for hours on end''practice and skill[power] will come naturally'' Wang shot a blast of energy into Bruce that lodged between his shoulder blades.Wang could draw up his testicles into his body [something Dr.Jwing Ming,said was impossible] being able to withstand kicks to the groin.On cold practice days students would stand around him to warm themselves as if he were a stove.He was also experienced in taoist meditation and sexual energy practices...which he only taught a select few.

The statement it all comes down to how much chi you have made after he defeated Bruce in combat when he [bruce]was ninteen year old karate champion.Wang said''Karate is only fit for fighting old women and children'' I can fight better than you ,eat more than you,have more sex than you,and you call yourself healthy,well young man there's more to being healthy than being young and... it all comes down to how much chi you have''

yes i have warded off big dogs that tried to attack my 2 year old.

it only doesnt work for folks with no chi... :o

Not good idea for sure ankle weights and running is asking for knee problems

I'm able to counter the aches and pains in the knees by doing free-hand squats

(where the hamstring touches the calves) for a few days.

The fluid collection in the ankles that can happen from running with those ankle

weights is what I worry about.

I'm able to counter the aches and pains in the knees by doing free-hand squats

(where the hamstring touches the calves) for a few days.

The fluid collection in the ankles that can happen from running with those ankle

weights is what I worry about.

Careful "Countering" the aches and pains though. Once you hit 40, it'll be all ache and pain, and no way to counter it. That's assuming you damage it sufficiently while young.

Careful "Countering" the aches and pains though. Once you hit 40, it'll be all ache and pain, and no way to counter it. That's assuming you damage it sufficiently while young.

It is "careful countering".

It is meant for getting blood into the area, stimulating for the area to be lubricated again, and getting the hamstrings to learn to work again in order to take the load off of the tendons and ligaments on the knee.

Sign in to follow this