forestofemptiness

A person with awareness, a person within awareness

No 'ouch' needed. That ws just a reality check. Hehehe. You are an honest person. I admire that.

BTW I didn't read my first translation of the TTC until I was 40 years old so there is still plenty of time for you to get started. You would be a good Taoist. Hehehe.

Thanks for sharing a bit of your life with us. I think from what you said I would have loved to spend a couple months with your grandpa.

And I salute you, my friend. You know, the Tao is like an empty vessel, empty yet giving forth without end, and in being given back to, is never filled.

Peace & Love!

Hi Forest,

Nicely pointed out. I truely believe that Buddhism is a very good belief system. But those who speak on forums like this should, as you say, be more grounded.

Peace & Love!

Hello M'head,

Yes both my grandpas were fascinating individuals. What a contrast - one a devout buddhist and astrologer, and the other a taoist who runs the only liquor store in the village, and i presume you would have preference for the latter, if only just to chance a whiff of the fragrance of all that exotic elixirs hehehehehe.....

The TTC? Hmm, i might just be tempted enough to go get myself a copy, although i need to say that i have almost completely given up reading philosophical/spiritual texts now. I have only kept behind a handful for really boring evenings when the stars refuse to come out and play :)

Thank you so much for your kind words, suffused with encouragement, humor and understanding. One can learn much from someone like you.

Be well my friend.

Hello M'head,

Yes both my grandpas were fascinating individuals. What a contrast - one a devout buddhist and astrologer, and the other a taoist who runs the only liquor store in the village, and i presume you would have preference for the latter, if only just to chance a whiff of the fragrance of all that exotic elixirs hehehehehe.....

The TTC? Hmm, i might just be tempted enough to go get myself a copy, although i need to say that i have almost completely given up reading philosophical/spiritual texts now. I have only kept behind a handful for really boring evenings when the stars refuse to come out and play :)

Thank you so much for your kind words, suffused with encouragement, humor and understanding. One can learn much from someone like you.

Be well my friend.

Actually, being around both your grandpas would have been an exciting experience for me. I don't drink except a glass of red grape wine every three or four days. But the exchange of people coming to see him would have been exciting.

I don't read much any more either. The most I have done in the past five years is a result of being a member of this forum.

I thank you too for the enjoyable conversations. I am sure we will find something else to talk about soon.

You be well also and take care.

Peace & Love!

Cow,

A few clarifications. By off the deep end, I mean more of a "lost in theory" sort of way, rather than a crazy sort of way. Also, it was sort of a tongue-in-cheek jab at the Mahayanists around here who in particular (in my opinion) tend to fall into the heavy theory camp. There is a (sometimes good-natured) rivalry between the two schools.

What I like about Buddhism generally is its relative, practical approach. Outside some of the core teachings, anything you say is conditional. Different people fall into abuse for different reasons. It may be the nature of the schools involved (Tibetan guru worship leading to various abuses, such as the Osel Tendzin abuses); the culture (see the whole Shugden fiasco); personalities (various Zen teachers having sex with their students, dying of alcoholism, etc.).

What would I say to the person? Depends on the person. Many people simply need to learn the lesson themselves. Others may be persuaded to check out different schools. Others I might talk about how Buddhism is the Middle Way, who knows?

This observation, if i may ask - Is it based on your personal experience and dialogue with many different buddhists?

I have a few friends from both schools of practice, and they all seem quite grounded to me.

Often the ones who go off the deep end, from what i have seen, are those who are merely infatuated with the *idea* of the philosophy, or some guru or lama, or because its the in thing to do. They were already confused prior to exposure, and their very enthusiasm only serve to compound this confusion. Am i being accurate here?

What would your suggestion be to these people? Lets assume i am highly taken in by this amazing, powerful, charismatic teacher, and follows him/her everywhere, listening wide-eyed to every single word that he/she utters, buying every single book about this teacher, not to mention CDs, making hefty donations etc. What advice would you give me? How will you convince me of my errant ways so that my confusion can be dispelled?

I hope this is a relevant enough issue to be examined in this thread, seeing it is about awareness.

Thank you.

Cow,

A few clarifications. By off the deep end, I mean more of a "lost in theory" sort of way, rather than a crazy sort of way. Also, it was sort of a tongue-in-cheek jab at the Mahayanists around here who in particular (in my opinion) tend to fall into the heavy theory camp. There is a (sometimes good-natured) rivalry between the two schools.

What I like about Buddhism generally is its relative, practical approach. Outside some of the core teachings, anything you say is conditional. Different people fall into abuse for different reasons. It may be the nature of the schools involved (Tibetan guru worship leading to various abuses, such as the Osel Tendzin abuses); the culture (see the whole Shugden fiasco); personalities (various Zen teachers having sex with their students, dying of alcoholism, etc.).

What would I say to the person? Depends on the person. Many people simply need to learn the lesson themselves. Others may be persuaded to check out different schools. Others I might talk about how Buddhism is the Middle Way, who knows?

Hello Forest,

Thank you for the clarification. It is as you say.

Have a good day!