wudangspirit

8 Extraordinary Channels and Taji

Just wondering if there are any Taiji practioners out there who utilize the 8 Extraordinary Channels during Taiji.

It has come to my attention lately that when I get with many people of different Taiji schools or practioners to discuss our practice, they never heard of it or didn't know how to utilize it in Taiji. A few people have heard of it but they said that their teacher doesn't teach it.

I found it odd because I was taught that this was a key element in practicing Taiji and doing it without utlizing the channels would be like dancing or peforming. Of course you have to learn to walk before you run so I realize that at the beginning levels we are not taught that. I wasn't either at the beginning.

I'm curious to know if this is a common practice or not.

Any comments? Feedback?

- Wudangspirit

Sorry for my dealy on this strand. I've been out of town.

We have a simple way of doing this through a number system. However, we do use the names like Chong Mai (Belt Channel) Governing and Conception Vessels (Du and Ren) etc.

The use of these is moving the energy through the right channels with the right movements. Such as Du and Ren (we will say 1 and 2) during the opening of Taiji. Also moving energy through Chong Mai during "Part the Wild horses mane". However it gets complicated when you have to utilize these simultaneously obviously as more than one channel is being activated during a posture. For instance utilizing Du and Ren (and the Yin and Yang Channels of the leg. This one is common because of the up and down motions.

Can you describe the usage of the 8 extraordinary channels? Sometimes I learn that what my teacher is teaching has a name to it.....

It has come to my attention lately that when I get with many people of different Taiji schools or practioners to discuss our practice, they never heard of it or didn't know how to utilize it in Taiji.

I would fall into that catagory.

Sometimes I learn that what my teacher is teaching has a name to it.....

I get that too :lol:

Such as Du and Ren (we will say 1 and 2) during the opening of Taiji.

We talk about breathing and eventually allowing chi to expand/contract and flow but not specifically meridians. Although we sometimes touch on them in kung fu for explaining why certain points are targeted it's very rare.

Kinda.. Sorta...

I practice Wuji Qigong which is the core of Taiji (IMO). The practice I learned from Cai SongFang and his student pays attention to energy and structural alignments between heaven and earth. I have only met one other Master, a Taiji Master, who taught this and that was Tony Ho (He Nanjie) of the Wu Style Lineage.

So, yes, in Wuji qigong standing practice we definately pay attention to this.

Chongmai, 3 points on the same line, and all the other taiji principles we need to pay attention to is important in Wuji practice.

I think this is a problem with those who have hardened their minds that taiji should be martial only and not energetic. At the same time, there is the other side who believe taiji is only for relaxing and is a stress reliever.

Honestly I don't know if my teacher teaches this or not. Judging from what I've heard him teach some more experienced students, he does teach the use of meridians. For newer students though, it starts from the ground up.... aka full body conditioning and metabolic conditioning, 100s of finger/knuckle pushups and pullups, lots of post standing, horse riding, combat stance, and dragon stance a la yichuan, and lots of extended stays in physically disadvantageous statically held positions for core exercise.

Wang Xiangzhai seemed to believe that qi theory is unnecessary for accomplishment in the internal martial arts.

I think the most important thing in the internal martial arts is the focus in the present moment. Unwavering awareness of body and environment. A very active attention to the whole picture as well as detail, almost waiting for sudden change. This is also what nonduality teaches too, being in the experience is key.