Sign in to follow this  
Old Man Contradiction

Does it seem like there's something spiritual about exercise?

I used to play basketball, I used to go jogging, I used to play baseball, I used to lift weights, all at different times. Then freshman year I found smokin weed and eating hallucinogens and my body went treated like it was worth nothing for the next 4 years. Now, I practice body conditioning, taiji, hsing-I, yichuan, and a little pa kua. My experience has shown me that there is some energetic, and uplifting qualities to exercising. It makes you feel really good.

The doctor who wrote the book "Spark", writes about how exercise that makes your heartbeat rise for at least 20mins stimulates BDNF which facilitates new neuro-connections and supports currently living brain cells and connections. And is only needed once a day and the effects last all day.

Traditional western exercise makes me feel really good. But i've noticed that practicing the internal martial arts or zhan zhuang properly, not only makes me feel really good, but also makes my mind more peaceful. A really awesome combination.

That's why I love the combination of conditioning and meditation.

note:

from least effect to most effect that I experienced:

weightlifting; basketball; jogging; baseball; IMA

(I had most fun at baseball, which was key too)

Anway, how do you feel that physical exercise in whichever form you see it in, how do you feel it fits into your spirituality?

Hi Old Man,

I agree with you although I have never really thought about it so I can't speak much. I will say that when I am exercising in any manner outdoors (even just walking) this feeling is amplified.

But yes, exercising increases the breathing therefore increasing the amount of oxygen into the heart and then into the brain allowing for clearer thoughts.

Happy Trails!

Riding my bike in the countryside until I'm pouring sweat is a very up-lifting way to start the day...And if the bike gets a flat - I get to walk and spend more time with the countryside! :D

Anway, how do you feel that physical exercise in whichever form you see it in, how do you feel it fits into your spirituality?

I love the way it makes me feel, more so now that I have the energy of cultivation! I feel like it spreads more through my being when I exercise and that I breath my meditation deeper into my cells!

:lol:

Good sex with a loved one is also quantum leap different after years of cultivation. ;)

Good sex with a loved one is also quantum leap different after years of cultivation. ;)

Truer words were never spoken!

Happy Trails!

Any exercise we do can be done with a form (physical level)

and we can bring in Spirituality into it.

If we simply do the exercise then you could be doing it mechanically.

Even a exercise like weight lifting, if done without mind aspect will have its benefits

BUT if done bringing Mind and Breathing into it, reaps more benefits

I like the Tao-Tai chi jin formula of Mind/Heart + Breathing + Postures = Jin

I remind myself and others with me - that Yoga means union of Body+Mind+Soul

so we can strive to do any exercise bringing mind/heart and our spirit into it and it can become spiritual.

Once we understand meditation, any thing we do can become meditaiton.

If we are playing basketball, and we are fully there, One with the team,

aware of each person presence, when we pass the ball we become one with the person passed to.....

my few cents

Any exercise we do can be done with a form (physical level)

and we can bring in Spirituality into it.

If we simply do the exercise then you could be doing it mechanically.

Even a exercise like weight lifting, if done without mind aspect will have its benefits

BUT if done bringing Mind and Breathing into it, reaps more benefits

I like the Tao-Tai chi jin formula of Mind/Heart + Breathing + Postures = Jin

I remind myself and others with me - that Yoga means union of Body+Mind+Soul

so we can strive to do any exercise bringing mind/heart and our spirit into it and it can become spiritual.

Once we understand meditation, any thing we do can become meditaiton.

If we are playing basketball, and we are fully there, One with the team,

aware of each person presence, when we pass the ball we become one with the person passed to.....

my few cents

Everything I do has a spiritual componant. I am a spirit having a human experience, amongst myriad other senscient beings/spirits having experiences...

Ain't it all beautiful?

Western sports are hard on the body and can be dangerous. They can produce

high levels of the stress hormone cortisol. Many have died running long marathons.

You also consume energy, not generate.

There is a mind-body-spirit connection with Traditional exercises. If you do them

regularly, you will live a long and healthy.

In China, all the elderly get up very early and perform Tai Chi.

Western sports are hard on the body and can be dangerous. They can produce

high levels of the stress hormone cortisol. Many have died running long marathons.

You also consume energy, not generate.

There is a mind-body-spirit connection with Traditional exercises. If you do them

regularly, you will live a long and healthy.

In China, all the elderly get up very early and perform Tai Chi.

Marathon's are excessive. I think it's all about being at your natural limitations.

My sifu and particularly one of his elderly students are in incredible shape. And their history is full of pull ups and push ups.

Even oldtime strongmen like Eugene Sandow and Arthur Saxon lived to be 10-20 years over the average lifespan for their time period.

Sign in to follow this