Marblehead

An Introduction To Taoist Philosophy

Marblehead - thanks for your efforts in posting these things.

There is a book that you might enjoy, by Lee Sun Chen Org. It can be purchased online from several places, but here is the amazon link to it.

Book

The first 100 pages contain a substantial quantity of information I'd not seen elsewhere previously; the information I was familiar with lines up with other research. The second 100 pages is Org's translation of The Laozi, and the Appendix ("Chronology of Major Events Related to Lao Tzu And His Book"), covering from 2698BCE to the 1993 Guodian find, is alone worth the price. IMO, of course.

Marblehead - thanks for your efforts in posting these things.

There is a book that you might enjoy, by Lee Sun Chen Org. It can be purchased online from several places, but here is the amazon link to it.

Book

The first 100 pages contain a substantial quantity of information I'd not seen elsewhere previously; the information I was familiar with lines up with other research. The second 100 pages is Org's translation of The Laozi, and the Appendix ("Chronology of Major Events Related to Lao Tzu And His Book"), covering from 2698BCE to the 1993 Guodian find, is alone worth the price. IMO, of course.

I looked at a little of the intro and of the actual translation. The translation is interesting.

I will put this on my list of 'things to do'.

Thanks for sharing.

Be well!

You're welcome. I agree with you that the translation is 'interesting'. Very unusual, is what I'd call it. It's the rest of the book, which gives a rare glimpse into the Laoist mindset, that is of value.

Warm regards

:)

Our Tao is our Tao. Our own cultivation cannot be explained in words but in self experience.

I suggest we all go back to Chapter One of the Tao Te Ching and contemplate then give up the need to define.

Good idea! Sometimes even though well intended, errors can be made.

"When the spiritual teacher and his disciples began their evening meditation, the cat who lived in the monastery made such noise that it distracted them. So the teacher ordered that the cat be tied up during the evening practice.

Years later, when the teacher died, the cat continued to be tied up during the meditation session. And when the cat eventually died, another cat was brought to the monastery and tied up.

Centuries later, learned descendants of the spiritual teacher wrote scholarly treatises about the religious significance of tying up a cat for meditation practice."

:lol:

source of story

Post noted.

Although I do not practice alchemy I agree with the root concept you spoke of.

Happy Trails!

Heya MarbleHead,

Thank you for your effort in this elucidation of Philosophical Taoism. In relation to the last post we must remember that Laozi and Chuangzi, although prime exemplars of the tradition, are not the only 'core texts' of Taoism. We must also include the Daozang or the "Treasury of Tao" in our study to get the "whole" picture.

For example here is the Yuhuang Xinyin Jing (Daozang 13) which translates as "The Jade Emperor Heart Seal Sutra" or, as Master Ni calls it, "Instruction from the Jade Emperor on How to Become a Divine Immortal":

Yes Stig. You are right. There is much that could be considered from before Lao Tzu and Chuang Tzu and there is much after that could be considered. However, my knowledge does not enter those realms. (See how ignorant I am?)

I can speak to only those areas where I have knowledge because if someone were to ask me a question about something that I had posted I would really want to be able to discuss it thoroughly enough so that the questioner could gain an understanding.

I can speak to Lao Tzu and Chuang Tzu but the rest I leave up to you and others. Hehehe. How's that for a cop-out?

Actually, that was the last section of the introduction. I have a thought for possibly continuing this thread but I have not yet made any firm plans.

But none-the-less, thanks for pointing out for all the readers of this thread that there is much more to Taoism than just the small part of the belief system that I have presented here.

And I know you have done a lot of hard work with what you have made available to us on this board and I do recognize this fact.

I am also trying to find a way to incorporate some of the work you have done in posts that I make concerning Taoist philosophy. (That's just an infant idea at the moment without any firm thoughts.)

Anyhow. There you are. One person's understanding of an introduction to Taoist philosophy. I will wait a couple days to allow all who wish to read the above posts to read them before I present to the members a possibility for expanding this thread or starting new threads. (Afterall, if there is no interest I would have no reason to put forth the effort.)

Happy Trails!

Hi All,

Well, I think that this thread went relatively well and I really don't anticipate any fruther discussion of what I have posted.

I will start a new thread with an idea for discussing Taoist philosophy. If there is a show of interest I will continue with the postings to it.

Happy Trails!