Owledge

Who can professionally denoise?

As I understand there are several musicians/audio technicians here. Could one of them do me a small favor and denoise a piece of music for me? My own abilities aren't sufficient here. There's not a single piece of silence with the noise from which a clean noise profile could be taken, and even if so, tries with CoolEdit always produce another kind of undesirable noise. One advantage though - if useful - is that the noise seems to be constant in type and amplitude throughout the whole piece (except the fadeout at the end).

And I hope MP3 compression losses won't make it more difficult, because I don't have the music in lossless format.

Edited by Hardyg

Send it to my private email address and I will run it through some ProTools plugins for you and if it isn't too bad it should be easy.

Love,

Carson :D

P.S. Timeframe? I'm pretty busy these days.

Don't know your private e-mail address, but I have webspace. You got a private message.

Edited by Hardyg

Tried to download it but it didn't work....if it isn't too large just email it to ziquality at (@) shaw.ca

Love,

Edited by CarsonZi

iZotope Rx would be perfect for this - it gives you spectral analysis and you can just about go in and "delete" unwanted noises from it. Wish I had a copy :lol:

Let's say it this way: A really intelligent software would be one where you could make a separate audiostream that only contains the noise without any musical remnants. B)

I wish it were that simple, man. For the most part, every single instrument has its own timbre - even things like a different capacitor or two can make a significant difference even in two models of the exact same guitar. Its very hard to separate out that stuff. Rx seems to do a decent job of it.

rx_plug-ins_collage.jpg

denoiser.jpg

Here's a shot of the spectogram - it can show you what's pissing your ears off.

spectrogram_ss.jpg

iZotope Rx would be perfect for this - it gives you spectral analysis and you can just about go in and "delete" unwanted noises from it. Wish I had a copy :lol:

I am going to use a "Broadband Noise Reduction" plug in....can't remember the brand off the top of my head. Perhaps HardyG can post both the before and after tracks when I am finished so anyone can see the difference. Will hopefully get to it on Saturday or Sunday....

Love,

how bad is it? I havent seen the waveform :D

Kinda hard to tell you with the written word because I have no idea what your personal tolerance level would be for this kind of thing, but on first listen (pretty quietly) it didn't sound too bad....overcompressed but....I've heard much worse (I didn't really listen to it either, just "scanned" sections. On a second louder listen I could easily hear what HardyG was complaining about. A 18-19KHzish range static, probably a bad cable or something when recording, that wasn't taken out during the mixing process, and then whoever mastered it overcompressed it and didn't run it through a spectrum analyzer (or seemingly listen to the finished product :wink: ) so when there are pauses in the music it is very noticeable....the overcompressed nature of the track (and the fact that it has some heavy beats) creates an effect that when there is a full spectrum of sound the "noise" isn't too bad, but as soon as there is a lull in the sound the white noise is brought up by the badly set compressor and is quite loud. Make sense? That's the best I can explain this track through words.

Love,

Well... OK, although it's a commercial MP3, I'm sure nobody will complain when I post 15 seconds of it for a few days - in the spirit of 'journalistic illustration'. ;) I cut a part that shows the noise, the overcompression and the overpeaked string instrument.

demo cut (link offline)

Edited by Hardyg

hm, oftentimes stuff in that range simply happens when you dont take out the offending noise early enough in the process and then mp3 conversion will bring it out - or, if you do other less kosher things like...I've seen sonic enhancers of sorts wreak absolute havoc on something that's already been converted to mp3, for instance.

listening to that clip, there's nothing at all wrong with that stringed instrument - the deep drum is simply too loud and overcompressed. when that happens you run out of all dynamic range for everything, not just the deep drum - so the stringed instrument is simply a casualty in this instance.

was the...most original copy you guys had...this overcompressed???

pop up a screen shot of the waveform :D or hell, hardy, shoot me a copy of it. messing with mp3s most often is digging a hole, you lose too much in the conversion to really be able to work with it well.

editz...

...but then again, sometimes you have something you can do a little work with :lol:

I know Carson will be interested in the technical details of my operation, so here ya go :D

-de-esser set real hard (like -40db real hard :lol: ) around 14K, high pass.

-Ozone to beat back and then expand <~200Hz, expand 200-700, expand 700-~6k slightly less...left the top alone. Blended the 2 sides of the harmonic exciter for lowest 3 chunks to put the icing on the expander. Blended in just a little extra reverb to wetten it up a bit, enhanced a tad with stereo imaging, soft limiter at -.4. Good tip for the reverb is to turn the dry totally off and go 100% wet to find the right wet blend, then take the wet down to the appropriate level, then bring in the dry to taste.

-wave hammere'd the opening ring on the right channel, it was peaking bad but it responded well to just having that little section hammered down.

-tried an ultramaximizer but that gave more of that yucky high pitched crap we dont want. didnt think it would help but gave it a shot anyway :D

-BBE sonic maximizer to beef up the bottom end back up a bit, I had to use a big soft beat down with ozone on the low end...lots of times with this stuff you just need to beat back the appropriate frequency ranges and then tease out some of the goods you want to hear B)

lemme know what you think! screen shots below, you can see there's a lot more dynamic range after I messed with it :) my after shot is showing up first down there.

Edited by joeblast