JustARandomPanda

Meditation Question

I began meditation via focusing on my breath approximately 2 weeks ago. I don't recall the exact day I began but somwhere around there. In the beginning - oddly - I didn't seem to have a problem with 'staying with' my breath. One time I was able to focus for about 10 minutes.

In fact, 3 or so nights ago I just kinda decided to focus on my breath while laying in bed for the night to sleep. On that night I even had the odd sensation of 'seeing' a flickering white light in the middle of my brow. Not a very strong light. More like when a diffuse light bulb starts to flicker right before it goes out. And I remember being in a relaxed state. Maybe it was a light trance. I don't know what caused the white light but it's never happened again.

Anyhoo...

Flash forward. Since that night with the soft flickering white light in my brow I can not for the life of me seem to 'stay with' my breath for more than a micro-second. I mean it is really difficult! I feel as if I'm backsliding in my meditating. I was under the impression that the longer one does it the easier it becomes. Instead it seems to be getting harder. :(

I don't know if this is because it actually is getting harder or perhaps I'm just getting better at noticing how fast the process of drifting away really begins.

In any case...it's a bummer.

Am I doing something wrong?

Edited by SereneBlue

Just my opinion: Try to establish a regular time and place for practice. Make it a part of your daily life, like brushing your teeth. Don't make assumptions about what is supposed to happen, or pass judgment on what does. Don't be too impressed by experiences. In the words of Dr Morris (and Patanjali), "Keep going, keep playing!"

Hi Sereneblue,

Truthfully, some days are much easier than others. I'm a long-time meditator too. Some days you may be unusually relaxed, you may have a posture that doesn't require much physical attention etc. and then you fall into an amazing state of emptiness and stillness. Some days, only meditating 30 minutes for me seems like forever.

I'll tell you the one great secret of meditation: consistency. Do it every single day without fail, because it is a cumulative effect that it has upon your mental state.

Good luck -- it's frustrating at the start, but stick with it.

Meditative experiences wax and wane as do all things. Every time is different. Also you may on some level have the desire to relive the experience of the brow light. It may have seemed profound as a new experience, so remind yourself not to cling to it. Such sensations are, however a sign that your relaxation and focus are deepening and that your mind entered the Jhanas or contemplation. Everytime you practice, remind yourself of the idea of the uncarved block- no clinging to past, and no expectations. Have fun! Contemplation is wonderful, and will bring you many benefits.

Wow. xabir2005's info has been very helpful. Well...at least I'm glad to know that what I'm going through is ordinary but not permanent. It also helps keep me motivated.

I don't know why it helps to hear other people say, "keep on truckin" but it does. How odd.

Thank you to everyone who answered.

Cheers :)

meditating is the hardest thing one can gain proficiency in.. just keep going :)

meditating is the hardest thing one can gain proficiency in.. just keep going :)

I agree! Whenever I think I have reached something, there suddenly whole new levels unveils to explore...

I'm a novice at meditation myself. Started with the following the breath routine and of course, like just about everybody couldn't get past 4-5 cycles without a thought popping up. Having the goal of getting 10 breaths without a thought set me up for failure. I read a nice little routine by Daniel Odier that is perhaps a bit easier for beginners to work with. It worked for me. Sit comfortably with your back straight, place a small stone or object about 3 ft in front of you and gently stare at it. Don't worry about your breathing just stare at the stone. When the monkey mind starts up, you've more than likely have stopped staring and are looking all over the room. Re-focus and continue staring at the stone. Repeat as necessary.

There are lots of systems out there, maybe you just need to find one that works for you. Good luck :)