Sign in to follow this  
Desert Eagle

IRC chat for TaoBums

I've tried the live chat feature but found some limitations so I preferred an IRC channel instead. I invite anyone with more experience to help establish this IRC project.

If you have an IRC client already installed and your browser can recognize irc links to open with it then click this link or copy/paste to address bar to join the chat:

irc://irc.freenode.net/TaoBums

http://java.freenode.net//index.php?channel=TaoBums

(I tried to make the irc link clickable but it adds http and doesn't work)

You can also manually join the channel by first typing without quotes: "/server irc.freenode.net" then press enter then "/join TaoBums" and enter.

The current Live Chat is a Java standalone program attached to this site whereas IRC is vast network of chat nodes that uses a separate program.

Main advantages of IRC:

1- Can use a separate program instead of the browser in case you wanted less tabs or close the browser.

2- Good IRC clients like mirc do not rely on Java for those with java problems.

3- mirc and other good clients have many features not present in the java chat like auto-away and keeping all chat and private chat logs. You can keep logged in indefinitely and all the chats are auto recorded into text files.

Main disadvantages:

problems with the current java chat:

1- The screen does not include all the chatting ever since you logged in, it cuts off and you lose the text.

2- The text cannot be copied by the mouse, you need to select with the mouse then press CTRL + C.

3- No auto away or log keeping, you need to copy/paste manually as mentioned above.

problems with IRC:

1- The IRC network is commonly blocked at work or public places, and installing software might be prohibited but there are java web clients.

2- Using IRC involves some work if installing a standalone client and you'll also need to learn a few commands but once installed you can just click the link to auto log in.

recommended IRC clients:

http://www.mirc.com/

http://www.hydrairc.com/

http://www.xchat.org/

mirc upp script

Java web clients:

http://java.freenode.net/

http://www.jwirc.com/chat.html

some common commands:

/server (server name to connect to) e.g. /server irc.freenode.net

/join (channel name to join) e.g. /join TaoBums

/quit (quit server) e.g. /quit

/part (leave channel) e.g. /part

/nick (new nickname) e.g. /nick desert_eagle

Thread Edits:

changed from rizon to freenode.

changed channel name to TaoBums.

edited intro.

added upp and java links.

added direct link to #TaoBums via java web client

added examples to the commands

edited the server command thanks to awake

edited the dis/advantages section

Edited by Desert Eagle

Hey!

Great idea!

I like freenode and it's right place for TaoBums.

Anyway would be better if the LiveChat and this irc chat, would be connected: I mean, one

chat would be the best solution :)

See you on TaoBums chat channel ;)

Cheers

You guys r making it a science project really.

Nothing against IRC - it's a great program but the Live Chat withing thetaobums works just fine.

For those who have problems with Java - try using Mozilla Firefox instead of Internet Eplorer and it's gonna ask u to install java then restart the browser and voila u r ready to chat.

Everybody who came on yesterday and the day before had a great time - it's very convenient and the fact that you have 2 or more tabs opened within your browser is not a problem - that's why tabs where invented....

Also FYI your commands don't work

It's /server -n irc.freenode.net

then /j #TaoBums

Not what you said.

I'm in there, waiting for others, though I'm prbably gonna be in Live Chat until this becomes popular.

You can also use mibbit.com to connect to the IRC. Just fill in the details, like any IRC.

Server: irc.freenode.net

Channel: #taobums

Edited by awake

i think Live Chat works pretty well, but I think it would work better if it went straight into an IRC channel instead of running on Java. maybe someone with programming experience can talk to Sean about this

not many here would be willing to download a chat program to connect, its so much easier just to click the link.

IRC is much better than any web chat I've seen for many reasons. The main reason is that IRC clients are so much more faster and comfortable to use than any web site I've seen. With an IRC client you are also allowed to save a log of your conversation. The scroll-back is only limited by the memory on your own computer and is not limited by the website in any way. IRC clients are very sophisticated in some cases and allow you to color code conversations to make them easy to follow. You can follow multiple conversations in a public room or rooms and then carry on a private conversation too, with the only limiting factor being your mind and not the software.

The downside is that IRC servers are sometimes blocked by the filtering software. This can be an annoyance.

Another alternative to IRC is a chatroom on one of the instant messaging services, like AIM/MSN/Yahoo/Google Chat/generic XMPP/whatever.

I think IRC servers have some stupid hold-overs from the olden days and some things have failed to evolve, but generally they are the most convenient way to talk as a group, IMO.

freenode is dedicated to open-source programming though, so I am not sure if that's the best choice. It seems like TaoBums would be off-topic on freenode.

the Live Chat feature here allows you to color code your text as well as sending private messages. you can also click the button to release the live chat window so its a separate window, I really don't think it's that bad.

the Live Chat feature here allows you to color code your text as well as sending private messages. you can also click the button to release the live chat window so its a separate window, I really don't think it's that bad.

Can I save the log of the chat on my computer? :) Not that I need that feature often, but someone might want that. Also, what's the scroll back like? Can I have 10,000 lines of scroll back?

Perhaps Live Chat can be improved. With newer browsers coming out all the time, it's getting easier and easier for web sites to match the speed and features of the specialized client/server applications.

I still prefer IRC. It gives more and better control over fonts and offers many other creature comforts that I like.

Edited by goldisheavy

IRC has all those features and more. (I'm in there right now)

Edited by awake

One thing that sucks about IRC is identd. That's a hold over from the 80's. I'm shocked the stupid IRC admins didn't rip that out of the IRC code. identd gives you no security at all, but it does serve to annoy the person who wants to use IRC. Live Chat doesn't have an annoying identd hoop to jump through.

IRC would be a nice place to idle around ;) and perhaps jump into a conversation once in a while ;)

It would be a great option to do actual live flamewars ;) and good discussions and maybe it could even fascilitate a team up of many sorts to a greater degree ;)

So is it going to be on irc.freenode.net #taobums ? ;)

IRC would be a nice place to idle around ;) and perhaps jump into a conversation once in a while ;)

It would be a great option to do actual live flamewars ;) and good discussions and maybe it could even fascilitate a team up of many sorts to a greater degree ;)

So is it going to be on irc.freenode.net #taobums ? ;)

yes IRC is nice but it doesn't seem to have a following here, maybe only 2 or 3 people interested. I chose the name arbitrarily, anything is ok. ;)

I just joined the live chat room, found it empty, and searched for an irc room, and found this thread.

I'm a fan of irc, but the setup has a fairly steep learning curve for non-technical people. On the other hand, if you already know it well and have a client customized, you'd rather use that.

An alternative suggestion is mibbit - it's an ajax irc client. Very simple for new people to use, just takes a browser, and can also be embedded in a website. This might be a way to go if someone cares to look into it: http://mibbit.com/

And for the future, embedding a "google wave" might replace irc. They claim it will replace email... looks very nice:

A preview version is supposed to be out soon... not sure when it could be production ready.

Personally, I am not a very big fan of java applets for security reasons, which is why I tend to prefer means of live chat that don't involve having to use a browser based chat client. On that note, I would be interested in an IRC chat live chat functionality for the Tao Bums seeing that I already am quite a fluent user of IRC in terms of my interest in open source projects and whatnot.

Sign in to follow this