11:33

Who Are the Living Enlightened Masters?

just out of interest (this may belong on a thread of its own)

how do you measure enlightenment?

if fact how do you know if you yourself become enlightened?

An enlightened, fully realized, and complete in wisdom and virtue: Annutura Samyaksambodhi...

They could be in the mountains, in the grocery store, a prostitute, Drug dealer...out on the beach taking some sun, running the government, cleaning the bathroom...selling you pizza...smoking cigarettes off the corner with the gamblers while trying to make them change their ways of life...hahaha

they could be wearing robes, sneakers shorts and a tank top...In the temples reciting the Buddha's name (both Daoist and Buddhist alike), ...they could be lighting incense to Master Lu Dong Bin, Wang Mu Niang Niang, The Buddhas and Bodhisattvas, or could be rude guy on the street, or the most uncouth person you ever met.

With no characteristics to label them enlightened, they just walk around minding their own business. Tell them they are enlightened, or even ask them if they are, and they deny it till they curse you till your ears bleed... tell them they are not enlightened and they have no troubles with it. They just laugh, or walk away at the word.

not to say that people who do this are indeed enlightened...not certain. You just have to hope that what they say to you leads you to a happier life...how to tell...meditate, and do not seek for powers, do not claim to have understanding, and do not indulge in desires...any teacher telling you to do what you want, with no regards to restraining the mind is leading a deviant path... a good marker to look for.

Peace,

Lin

Maybe some taoists have a specific idea about when one reaches enlightenment, but for me, enlightenment is a path that has many gradations.

Mikaelz is 100% sure Dalai Lama is. May be he is! The three times I have seen him, he seemed like a nice person and great guy to talk to, with great interest towards Tantra and its branching into Buddist/Hindu branches. Certainly seemed to have a very open mind to listen, ask questions and express his views. And meeting him as representatives of a well-established Hindu organization certainly helped.

I would not know how to recognize an enlightened guy for sure, but, as Trunk said, I see a very strong possibility that Mark Griffin is Enlightened. He seems to translate a lot of what Advaita/Kashmiri Shaivism teaches into an actual experience and help others embrace it.

Edited by SiliconValley

I would say Thich Nhat Hanh. He seems to have a mind that is at peace. But I would also say that enlightened masters do not always make themselves known. And not everyone who "claims" to be enlightened actually is.