sillybearhappyhoneyeater

Bulding a foundation

I hope this thread is helpful and as always, if you have any criticisms, or want to add to it, please feel free.

Great subject.  I look forward to reading peoples discussion. 

I hope people will keep positive and not criticize other systems.  We have a bunch of old threads that have gone down in flames due to 'My system is best, yours is deluded' styles of posts.  As an experiment in TDB internet communication, I hope this thread stays lively, positive and members don't take this worthy thread in that direction. 

In other words be respectful and understand other arts have different interpretations.  Please tell us what your arts philosophy is, without cutting down anothers.  If that isn't possible, then avoid this thread.

Threads in the Daoist section should not be ending in silly vendetta like circular pettiness.  We're here to learn and discuss.

• Like 3

"...or going into the mystery gate (the unconscious portal between post and pre heaven)..."

Want to elaborate on that? Thanks  :)

Edited by oak

"...or going into the mystery gate (the unconscious portal between post and pre heaven)..."

Want to elaborate on that? Thanks  :)

the mystery gate is a fairly contested subject in Daoism, with early schools believing it to be the nose and mouth, and then some schools making the criticism that it actually referred to the lower dantian, third eye, or solar plexus, but the best definition of the mystery gate, and the one I personally use is that of Huang yuanji, which is that the mystery gate is the time when the mind enters into the  "Hun dun" or chaotic state.   This state is when the kun hexagram reverts to the fu hexagram (deepest yin passes and one yang line emerges as the base of the six lines),  The first place I've seen this articulated in terms of neidan was in some poetry from the southern school, but the middle school totalizes it into a theory of how the meditative mind moves from the active (you wei) to the inactive (wu wei) and then action without action (wu bu wei).   In this case, it is when pre heaven jing, qi, and shen all collect together in Chaos and fortify the energy body, as well as giving birth to stronger post heaven Qi.   

In practical terms, the mystery gate refers to when we forget ourselves.  Huang Yuanji called this "I do not know what my home is."

It is the big difference between practices which focus on the pre heaven and practices which focus on the post heaven.  post heaven practices will look to build Qi by coaxing it with the intention, while pre heaven schools build Qi by entering into emptiness to the point where the mind disappears for a brief time.  When it comes back, the alchemical process has been started without our even having recognized it happening.    This is totally in keeping with how the Neidan school articulates two different kinds of Qi, one means the qi related to breath, blood and external nutritional elements, the other type of Qi refers to something which is tempered in emptiness.

• Like 5

the mystery gate is a fairly contested subject in Daoism, with early schools believing it to be the nose and mouth, and then some schools making the criticism that it actually referred to the lower dantian, third eye, or solar plexus, but the best definition of the mystery gate, and the one I personally use is that of Huang yuanji, which is that the mystery gate is the time when the mind enters into the  "Hun dun" or chaotic state.   This state is when the kun hexagram reverts to the fu hexagram (deepest yin passes and one yang line emerges as the base of the six lines),  The first place I've seen this articulated in terms of neidan was in some poetry from the southern school, but the middle school totalizes it into a theory of how the meditative mind moves from the active (you wei) to the inactive (wu wei) and then action without action (wu bu wei).   In this case, it is when pre heaven jing, qi, and shen all collect together in Chaos and fortify the energy body, as well as giving birth to stronger post heaven Qi.   

In practical terms, the mystery gate refers to when we forget ourselves.  Huang Yuanji called this "I do not know what my home is."

It is the big difference between practices which focus on the pre heaven and practices which focus on the post heaven.  post heaven practices will look to build Qi by coaxing it with the intention, while pre heaven schools build Qi by entering into emptiness to the point where the mind disappears for a brief time.  When it comes back, the alchemical process has been started without our even having recognized it happening.    This is totally in keeping with how the Neidan school articulates two different kinds of Qi, one means the qi related to breath, blood and external nutritional elements, the other type of Qi refers to something which is tempered in emptiness.

Thank you, sillybearhappyhoneyeater.

• Like 1

Thanks sillybearhappyhoneyeater. Are you ever going to write another book?

I've been collecting notes for about two years in planning for another book.   Its going to be a syncretic approach to Nei Dan which uses documents from all of the major schools to explain the practice from early foundational levels to the development of the small and large heavenly orbits.   The material in the book will be teaching the same stages as my first book (i am a stickler for developing the energy body properly, which I think many writers skip in order to favour more romantic material that really shouldn't be practiced until people have mastered the basics), but in much more accurate detail.    One of my big regrets about the first book is not including enough translated material (it was mainly based on oral transmission from my teacher), so the second book will aim to fix that problem with much more exact primary document analysis.

I have a publisher, but we are just waiting a while to finalize details.

In the meantime, I do teach various online courses and am being invited out to start a Daoist centre in a secret (for now) location somewhere in North America.   :)  

• Like 3