#1 nine tailed fox

nine tailed fox

Dao Bum

• The Dao Bums
  • Pip
  • 295 posts
  • Interests:shaaka laaka boom boom

Posted 16 October 2015 - 09:24 AM

What are some of the best translations and the commentary of confucious classics  ??? 

Analects,  The Great Learning,  the doctrine of the Mean and mencius 

#2 Zhongyongdaoist

Zhongyongdaoist

Dao Bum

• Concierge
  • Pip
  • 1247 posts

Posted 16 October 2015 - 04:18 PM

As a start this is probably the best modern translation/commentary on "The Great Learning" and "The Doctrine of the mean"

Ta Hsueh and Chung Yung: (The Highest Order of Cultivation and On the Practice of the Mean)

For a modern person these two are the best to start with because they are short and their style is more approachable than either the Analects or the Mencius.

The Chung Yung (Zhongyong) in particular is very profound and Tu Weiming's

Centrality and Commonality

Is an excellent study of it.

All of Tu Weiming's books are excellent, it was his:

Humanity and Self-Cultivaton

That transformed my understanding and opened the path of Confucian Dao for me.

I'll post more as I have time.

• dawei and damdao said thanks for this
Donald
aka Zhongyongdaoist

'It is better for us that there should be difference of judgment, if we keep charity: but it is most unmanly to quarrel because we differ'

'Nothing spoils human Nature more, than false Zeal ... because I may be Mistaken, I must not be dogmatical and confident, peremptory and imperious. I will not break the certain Laws of Charity, for a doubtful Doctrine or of uncertain Truth'

'... I oppose not rational to spiritual; for spiritual is most rational: But I contradistinquish rational to conceited, impotent , affected CANTING ...'

All by Benjamin Whichcote, 17th Century English Theologian, quoted from Ernst Cassirer's The Platonic Renaissance in England, a much neglected book of Wisdom.

All of that said it remains true that:

Only the man of virtue knows whom to love and whom to hate. Confucius, Analects 4.3

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users