Photo

Favorite Bagua resources? (books, teachers, videos, etc)

bagua

• Please log in to reply
100 replies to this topic

#33 Gerard

Gerard

Dao Bum

• The Dao Bums
  • Pip
  • 3496 posts

Posted 06 September 2014 - 02:20 PM

And instructors as well, they also get caught up in either the wushu or the fighting camp. This enables them to attract a large following. The good thing that with today's modern communications system (Internet) you can still pick up the relevant stuff from whoever your teacher is and use sources from those who focus on the internal aspect and as a dedicated student excel yourself. Isn't that true that it is hard to find a good teacher but even harder to find a good student? ;)

He Jinghan of Taipei-Taiwan is one of those who teaches Bagua as a neijia art.

Please, don't excuse yourself:

"A man may conquer a million men in battle but one who conquers himself is, indeed, the greatest of conquerors." (Gautama Buddha).
:)

Edited by Gerard, 06 September 2014 - 02:23 PM.

#34 Gerard

Gerard

Dao Bum

• The Dao Bums
  • Pip
  • 3496 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 06:39 PM

More training tips from the Gong Baotian line (it can be useful for any other Bagua branches since kung fu is kung fu regardless of the colour):

Link.

#35 Gerard

Gerard

Dao Bum

• The Dao Bums
  • Pip
  • 3496 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 03:41 AM

My advice for those who want to go beyond, form, wushu, martial arts, the EGO, everything you have accumulated lifetime after lifetime (if there is such a thing as many lifetimes, it just a repeated pattern that keeps flaring up in form, substance, one long continuum that doesn't seem to end); in other words 'peel off' all those mental layers and reveal your true nature:

1. Practice near the element that is the mother of the organ that is causing you all the trouble, i.e. if someone is an angry person, resentful, with repressed emotions, suffering from depression, insomnia or excessive dreaming, etc. This is a pattern typical of someone suffering from liver qi stagnation. In order to heal this organ we need to work with the 'mother' element: kidney. This element is associated with water.

ws1n2o.jpg

2u5aws6.jpg

2. Walk slowly and very softly....FEEL everything that is happening while you walk. Form is not the main focus, the mind and all its processes is. Usually you start to feel the inner workings of the body (muscles, connective tissue, bones, pulsing of the internal organs pulsing, their colours, association with the macrocosm) and from there you advance to a deeper level (emotions, sensual desire in various forms, ill will, lust, conceit, etc.). Everything must go.

3. If there is a point of tension (there will be lots) dissolve it (it takes time) using visualisation techniques (imagine tension being as ice that is slowly melting down; as butter that is also also melting down with the good heat generated with circle walking; or as something hard but that is turning into something elastic that is slowly losing its tension) and also exhale while you feel the point during an specific portion of the stepping in the circle. Spend months working in all those knots that could be located anywhere in your body. These are actually parts of your mind, unresolved emotional issues, patterns of thinking or habits that have become stiff, rigid, which you have been carrying since...immemorial times. If you feel pain while you work with those painful knots, you need to keep going, don't make your practice easy because opening the mind is a very painful process. We are dealing with sankharas (mental dispositions, the builders of lives) in here. This is very serious stuff and should not be taken lightly.

One should spend a considerable amount of time (months, years) working in those knots until they are all resolved.

4. Don't practice on an easy, smooth surface, rough and uneven surfaces are more challenging and will quickly reveal those hidden blockages of the mind.

5. Ensure your circle is no more than 8-9 steps big in diameter.

6. Make sure your stepping is perfect. Use chalk to draw a line (if the surface allows for it) on the ground that will help you tracing a correct stepping pattern.

7. Practice between 5-7pm (kidney qi is activated at that time) if you are working on the water element to heal the sick child (liver).

8. Use Vipassana or Samatha techniques in order to calm the mind and ensure correct concentration and mindfulness. In my experience, the sound of water running is very soothing and is an excellent aid to tame the mind.

9. Don't change direction too frequently or you never develop a serious concentration skill. Start with a minimum of 10 circles and work your way up to 100 (or more if you can)...each side.

10. Practice in the dark. This will hone your stepping skill and also increase your awareness.

11. One palm at the time. Experiment with one palm for an extended period of time and record any mind changes.

12. Walk low, don't force yourself to go into a low stance. Allow for it to happen naturally. When you walk the circle slowly and to totally relaxed you'll naturally drop your stance. The benefits of walking low are immense.

Happy practice. :)

Edited by Gerard, 11 September 2014 - 01:47 PM.

• zhoupeng, laughingblade, zerostao and 5 others said thanks

#36 Gerard

Gerard

Dao Bum

• The Dao Bums
  • Pip
  • 3496 posts

Posted 25 September 2014 - 07:24 PM

We can't have thread without this picture:

2myrzua.jpg

Bagua students standing in front of the original tomb of Dong Haichuan.

A sign of respect to Dong Haichuan's legacy.

I'll forever be grateful, master. :)

Edited by Gerard, 08 May 2015 - 11:09 PM.

• spiraltao and BaguaKicksAss said thanks for this

#37 Trunk

Trunk

John Dao Productions

• The Dao Bums
  • Pip
  • 4684 posts
  • Interests:bagua qigong

Posted 13 October 2014 - 08:36 AM

I bought several bagua dvds of Liu Jingru's some months back ... (someone posted links to buying them from China I think, they were very affordable... anyone wanna quote those links here?, I couldn't find them) ...  I'm just getting into them and really enjoying them.  Clear instruction, step-by-step.

• spiraltao said thanks for this

#38 zerostao

zerostao

traveling cloud

• The Dao Bums
  • Pip
  • 7596 posts
  • Interests:Nature, elixirs, trees, herbs,flowers, weeds, harmony
    Spiritual Taoism

Posted 13 October 2014 - 08:38 AM

I bought several bagua dvds of Liu Jingru's some months back ... (someone posted links to buying them from China I think, they were very affordable... anyone wanna quote those links here?, I couldn't find them) ...  I'm just getting into them and really enjoying them.  Clear instruction, step-by-step.

http://www.plumpub.c...title.htm#bagua

http://www.plumpub.c...dcoll_BGljr.htm

Edited by zerostao, 13 October 2014 - 08:39 AM.

• Trunk said thanks for this
live like an immortal
i am a brother to dragons and a companion of owls
powered by aufheben

#39 GreytoWhite

GreytoWhite

If you do random qigong crap you're gonna have a bad time.

• The Dao Bums
  • Pip
  • 1223 posts
  • Interests:Lotsa stuff.

Posted 13 October 2014 - 02:53 PM

http://www.yesasia.c...48-en/list.html

http://www.coohk.com...ed01bb4c44f5e36

• Trunk and zerostao said thanks for this

#40 Gerard

Gerard

Dao Bum

• The Dao Bums
  • Pip
  • 3496 posts

Posted 15 October 2014 - 02:44 AM

Trunk,

You can buy them on eBay (they are from China anyway) which come with English subs. Here are some links:

1. Footwork and Eight Mother Palms (ding shi ba zhang)

2. Eight Changing Palms (ba da zhang)

3. Swimming Body Linking Palms (youshen lian huan zhang)

You can also find various weapons routines.

Liu Jingru is a very patient teacher and demoes the forms slowly and paying attention to detail. Highly recommended.

More videos:

1. He Jinghan's first lesson on circle walking.

2. Walking with the kua practice

3. Ma Bu and shoulder drill practice

4. When you walk the circle, face the centre mindfully and making sure the whole movement is connected.

5. Walk the circle slowly paying attention to every single detail especially during stepping and when changing direction. This is how a solid Bagua foundation is built upon. Bai Yucai (Dong Haichuan>Cheng Tinghua>Liu Bin>Wang Wenkui>Bai Yucai) is a good example.

Edited by Gerard, 08 May 2015 - 11:09 PM.

• Trunk, Dainin and zerostao said thanks for this

#41 Trunk

Trunk

John Dao Productions

• The Dao Bums
  • Pip
  • 4684 posts
  • Interests:bagua qigong

Posted 15 October 2014 - 05:48 PM

Is there an online article outlining the typical sequence of major bagua skills/forms (mother palm, linking palm, etc)?

#42 GreytoWhite

GreytoWhite

If you do random qigong crap you're gonna have a bad time.

• The Dao Bums
  • Pip
  • 1223 posts
  • Interests:Lotsa stuff.

Posted 15 October 2014 - 06:49 PM

I'm not aware of any that outline "the bagua syllabus" as that varies not only from lineage to lineage but also teacher to teacher. Split mainly between Yin (striking focus), Cheng (throwing focus), and Liang (mix of Cheng and Yin) the different lineages all have their specialties, outside influences, and favorite techniques.

The most widely represented lineages are from Cheng Tinghua who learned Baoding Shuaijao before bagua providing things like the teacup exercises and mud wading step. It's said that Cheng Tinghua only taught three different palms. Most Cheng branches are heavily influenced by xingyi which is not a bad thing. I'm by no means an expert but if I recall correctly the typical Cheng style progression should be similar to below.

Basic Exercises (jiben gong)

Basic Leg Skills (jiben tui fa)

Basic Arm Skills (jiben shou fa)

Standing Meditation (zhan zhuang)

Whole Body Training (neigong)

Straight Line Walking

Circle Walking

Eight Mother Palms (ba mu zhang)

Old Eight Palms (lao ba zhang)

Eight Changing Palms 

Eight Linking Palms (lian huang zhang)

64 Linear Palms 

Swimming Dragon (you shen long xing)

Weapons

Some of these sets may have different names from lineage to lineage and be the same, some may not exist in some lineages, and some have the same name but be performed differently.

Edited by GreytoWhite, 15 October 2014 - 07:01 PM.

• Trunk, spiraltao and BaguaKicksAss said thanks for this

#43 Gerard

Gerard

Dao Bum

• The Dao Bums
  • Pip
  • 3496 posts

Posted 16 October 2014 - 04:36 PM

Personally I wouldn't worry about fancy forms too much.

My advice:

1. Basic circle walking. Work hard on the Ko Bu and Bai Bu, perfect stepping & smooth transitioning when you change direction on the circle.

2. Jibengong exercises/foundation work. He Jinghan has put a ton of wealthy advice and drill practice on his YT Channel and on his site Baguaquan lessons.

3. Eight Mother Palms Neigong including the Millstone Pushing Palm which in some Bagua lines is not part of the mother set. Understand and feel where the force comes when working on them individually.

Bagua is a bottomless art. You'll never stop learning when you focus on the basics.

Edited by Gerard, 17 October 2014 - 08:57 PM.

• Trunk, laughingblade and BaguaKicksAss said thanks for this

#44 Gerard

Gerard

Dao Bum

• The Dao Bums
  • Pip
  • 3496 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 08:57 PM

Now, in relation to your question. I don't think there is, but this is the typical progression in Liang style Bagua (Dong Haichuan>Liang Zhenpu>Li Zi Ming>Wang Tong>Geoff Sweeting):

1. Eight Mother Palms (Ding Shi Ba Zhang)

2. Eight Single Techniques (Dan Cao Ba Shi)

3. Eight Partnered Techniques (Dui Lian Ba Shi)

4. Eight Changing Palms (Ba Da Zhang)

5. Dragon Form (Long Xing Zhang)

6. Sixty-Four Linear Palms (Liushisi Shou Zhang)

Geoff Sweeting is my teacher, that's how he learned Bagua (his background is Xingyi and Danchengquan) if we talk about a curriculum.

His students follow this progression as well.

There are other forms (Eight Directions Palms/Ba Mian Zhang & Swimming Body Chain Linking Form/Lian Huan Zhang) which he didn't learn as he felt they were just permutations of what he learned already...and also more forms doesn't mean you'll get the 'juice' (gong fu). :D

And also weapons forms: broadsword, straight sword and either deer horn knives or wind and fire rings, or maybe both, not sure (I can't really remember since it has been several years since I asked him and didn't bother to ask again).

Note: 1, 4, 5 & 6 were learned in that specific order. 2 & 3 were practiced throughout the whole system.

Finally, an insightful interview with Ma Chuanxu (Liang Shi Bagua) at ChinaFromInside.

Edited by Gerard, 18 October 2014 - 02:28 PM.

• Trunk and GreytoWhite said thanks for this

#45 Gerard

Gerard

Dao Bum

• The Dao Bums
  • Pip
  • 3496 posts

Posted 20 October 2014 - 08:17 PM

Old Bagua documentary aired on CCTV (Beijing schools: Yin Fu, Cheng Tinghua, Liang Zhenpu)

Baguazhang documentary 1980 part 1 (lovely swimming body skill of the female performer at 5:25, another one of my favourites :) )

Baguazhang documentary 1980 part 2

Bagua's greatest masters, Beijing 1993 (long duration)

Taiwan Bagua documentary. Two main lines portrayed in the clip:

1. Gong Baozhai (Yin Fu>Gong Baotian lineage)

2. Wang Shujin (trained under Cheng Tinghua and Dong Haichuan)

Edited by Gerard, 20 October 2014 - 08:18 PM.

• Trunk and spiraltao said thanks for this

#46 BaguaKicksAss

BaguaKicksAss

daily, it kicks my behind daily

• The Dao Bums
  • Pip
  • 8641 posts
  • Interests:"Lao Zi said: Great people are peaceful and have no longings; they are calm and have no worries. They make the sky their canopy and the earth their car; they make the four seasons their horses and make dark & light their drives. They travel where there is no road, roam where there is no weariness, depart through no gate".
    老子曰:大丈夫恬然無思,澹然無慮,以天為蓋,以地為車,以四時為馬,以陰陽為禦,行乎無路,遊乎無怠,出乎無門。
    - from Wen Zi (Tongxuan Zhenjing) 《通玄真经》, 5th century BC

Posted 20 October 2014 - 10:02 PM

1. Circle walk

2. Circle walk some mmore

3. Circle walk a little lower

4. Circle walk focusing on moving from your lower dantien

5. Circle walk focusing on your ldt some more

6. Keep circle walking. 

7. Circle walk a little lower

8. More circle walking.

9. Add a form if you like

10. More circle walking

:D

• Trunk, laughingblade, spiraltao and 2 others said thanks
"Lao Zi said: Great people are peaceful and have no longings; they are calm and have no worries. They make the sky their canopy and the earth their car; they make the four seasons their horses and make dark & light their drives. They travel where there is no road, roam where there is no weariness, depart through no gate".

#47 Mandrake

Mandrake

Dao Bum

• The Dao Bums
  • Pip
  • 413 posts

Posted 20 October 2014 - 10:42 PM

1. Circle walk

2. Circle walk some mmore

3. Circle walk a little lower

4. Circle walk focusing on moving from your lower dantien

5. Circle walk focusing on your ldt some more

6. Keep circle walking. 

7. Circle walk a little lower

8. More circle walking.

9. Add a form if you like

10. More circle walking

:D

BKA:

As I am a complete beginner, would you like to expand on the reasons why to walk lower and lower?

Thanks!

\Mandrake

#48 BaguaKicksAss

BaguaKicksAss

daily, it kicks my behind daily

• The Dao Bums
  • Pip
  • 8641 posts
  • Interests:"Lao Zi said: Great people are peaceful and have no longings; they are calm and have no worries. They make the sky their canopy and the earth their car; they make the four seasons their horses and make dark & light their drives. They travel where there is no road, roam where there is no weariness, depart through no gate".

Posted 21 October 2014 - 04:30 AM

BKA:

As I am a complete beginner, would you like to expand on the reasons why to walk lower and lower?

Thanks!

\Mandrake

Cause many folks don't do it nearly enough, forms are more fun and more fancy.

Also, it builds the Bagua body if done properly.  It changes your body, in good ways.  Very healing too. 

And, it essentially is Bagua :)

• Trunk, Mandrake, Gerard and 1 other said thanks
"Lao Zi said: Great people are peaceful and have no longings; they are calm and have no worries. They make the sky their canopy and the earth their car; they make the four seasons their horses and make dark & light their drives. They travel where there is no road, roam where there is no weariness, depart through no gate".

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: bagua

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users