Sign in to follow this  
awake

"Ocean of Dharma"

I just went to the library to pickup a book I needed for school, and this one was sitting on the shelf opposite of it glaring in the sunlight. Also nearby was a relevant book to another project I am doing for school.

So, I decided to borrow this book titled "Ocean of Dharma, 365 Teachings on Living Life with Courage and Compassion, The Everyday Wisdom of Chogyam Trungpa"

I'd like to know if anyone of you has read the book and what you think of it, and Chogyam Trungpa.

Thanks!

I just went to the library to pickup a book I needed for school, and this one was sitting on the shelf opposite of it glaring in the sunlight. Also nearby was a relevant book to another project I am doing for school.

So, I decided to borrow this book titled "Ocean of Dharma, 365 Teachings on Living Life with Courage and Compassion, The Everyday Wisdom of Chogyam Trungpa"

I'd like to know if anyone of you has read the book and what you think of it, and Chogyam Trungpa.

Thanks!

What really matters is what you think of it. If you try to solicit the opinion of others before "wasting" your time reading it, you may think you are valuing your time highly, but what you're really doing is devaluing your own opinion. Why not read 20 pages? Read 2 pages at the front. Read 8 pages 30 percent into the book. Read another 8 70 percent in, and read 2 at the end. You'll get a very good feel for what the book is about and for the character of the author, at least as it pertains to this particular book. If you're in a hurry, shrink everything by half, to 10 pages total. Assuming very conservatively 2 mins per page reading speed, the process will take you from 40 to 20 minutes. If you do this process often, you will learn to read faster and you'll get it down to 10 mins eventually. 10 mins to form your own impression. From that you'll know if you want to explore it further or not. You won't be deceived. But relying on the opinions of others, as if they mattered, as if they are informed and not influenced by any manner of ignorance is just asking for trouble.

Feeling out how everyone feels before taking any step of your own means you really think your own opinions and mental faculties are shit. On the other hand, this kind of constant deference to others might earn you some useless respect among the weak minded. It might actually come in handy in life, especially if you don't have any lofty goals.

Thanks!

Ya gotta be careful with his teachings. He made a bunch of karma's for king spirits. Spiritual powers that arise from drinking and thinking that you are a king. My friends and I are always saying that we rule the world when we are drunk and in his territory.

Trungpa died due to alcoholic consumption.

His son the Sakyong...Mipham rinpoche needs some help with this legacy. Pacifying this problem in shambala buddhism is a challenge to any sober taoist alive!

It's good to be a king!

Ya gotta be careful with his teachings. He made a bunch of karma's for king spirits. Spiritual powers that arise from drinking and thinking that you are a king. My friends and I are always saying that we rule the world when we are drunk and in his territory.

Trungpa died due to alcoholic consumption.

His son the Sakyong...Mipham rinpoche needs some help with this legacy. Pacifying this problem in shambala buddhism is a challenge to any sober taoist alive!

It's good to be a king!

So you have no opinion about his teaching, but lots of opinions about alcohol, eh? You're a moron.

This is a large reason why I was telling awake to rely on his own devices.

There have been Dzogchen masters who've attained rainbow body and who drank alcohol too, never mind other things, like prostitution and whatnot. Don't judge the book by its cover. Look at the message and not the messenger, unless the messenger happens to be the message, which is a very rare and special case (like in fashion or art).

Edited by goldisheavy

Tantra uses all means to gain enlightenment, such as sex and alcohol. Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche gave up his monk robes and became a lay person, getting married and doing other things so as to understand the Western problems. he was a master of Tantra and Mahamudra, and I have no doubt about him being highly realized. Bodhisattva no doubt.

I always found his books to be incredible. the way he can relate to the Western mindset, his language and communication, and his teachings I found to be of great help. the books Cutting Through Spiritual Materialism, the Heart of Buddha, and the Myth of Freedom I find to be invaluable for those seeking clear, no bullshit, pointing to waking up.

but, like Gold says, it's all up to your own interpretation and connection.

Edited by mikaelz

Spiritual powers that arise from drinking and thinking that you are a king...

If this is true that shows the spiritual path is loaded with dangers (kilesas). Attachment to them and boy, you are well gone.

Read that book and judge for yourself, never ask for this kind of help before you actually read or experience it.

Good luck!

Sign in to follow this