Sign in to follow this  
Trixter Streetcat

salt baths

I have seen salt baths being recommended on this board. anyone care to explain the specific uses and effects of salt baths? what are they good for?

in folk magic, salt baths are used to undo "tricks", i.e. spells done unto you, particularly through the skin. it's also widely used in protection against evil influence and ritual purification. would it be something similar to this?

also, why do you think salt would be used for this? any particular reason?

thanks for your replies.

streetcat.

I have seen salt baths being recommended on this board. anyone care to explain the specific uses and effects of salt baths? what are they good for?

in folk magic, salt baths are used to undo "tricks", i.e. spells done unto you, particularly through the skin. it's also widely used in protection against evil influence and ritual purification. would it be something similar to this?

also, why do you think salt would be used for this? any particular reason?

thanks for your replies.

streetcat.

Common use of salt:

- it is a natural cleanser.

i.e you get a cut and put salt on it it won't get infected (although you might wet your pants due to the pain...)

- Salt was used to preserve. You rub it on meat to keep it from spoiling. Either salty or acid environment is unfriendly to most bacteria, hence food does not spoil (i.e. pickles). Also salt is used for preserving animal skins(i.e. sheepskins and lambskins exported from Australia).

Religion:

- Salt is mentioned 46 times in the Bible and 3 times in Quran.

In many cultures, including Japan, salt is used for purification. Sumo wrestlers throw salt in the ring before a match to purify the ring.

In Japan, salt in a pouch is distributed to participants of a funeral. After the funeral, when the participants come back and enter their houses, they have to be sprinkled on themselves with the salt for purification.

And then there are the taoist theories: In Asia, Tao Salt has been used by Taoist Immortals as a medicinal substance throughout the ages. Through their understanding of Ancient Oriental Medicine and Alchemy, they realized the disease prevention and curative power of Tao Salt. Tao Salt exerts miraculous effects on cancer, ulcers, fatigue, diabetes, hypertension, detoxing bla bla bla......

Salt has cleansing and hygienic power and newborn babies were rubbed with salt.

Here are some interesting rituals found in a few different cultures:

First let me quote the Bible:

// Salt the newborn: On the day of birth it is sin if you do not rub the newborn with Salt // (Ezekiel 16:4)

Japanese people before Meiji-era had the custom to put some salt into baby's bath. The ancient people of Israel washed a new born baby with water after rubbing the baby softly with salt;

The same rubbing of the newborn was supposedely common in some old traditions like the Armenian''s and by some people in Africa (Gambia) - who would actually shave the baby's head and then rubb it with salt....

Supposedely the babies that had been rubbed with salt, later on throughout their infancy would become imune to most of the common baby diseases.

For humans, salt is as essential as water. We can perish from too little salt as we can of thirst. Salt regulates the exchange of water between our cells and their surrounding fluids. All fish, reptiles, amphibians, birds, and mammals carry within their veins the elements of sodium, potassium, and calcium in almost the same proportions as the oceans.

Ninety seven per cent of all the water on Earth is salty....

Then there is the electrical conductivity in a water solution of salt and etc etc etc....

Now my personal take on it is - you can use salt on french fries as well as on popcorn. It works magic !

Sign in to follow this