Sign in to follow this  
Iyoiyo

Go/weiqi

I'm curious, how many of you play Go? It's an excellent game and I have a hunch at least one of you does ^__6.

I find it's a good way to condense life practices into a single game. Go is all about balance and being greedy or angry will lose you the game.

Edited by Iyoiyo

I'm a Go player.

A very bad Go player :-P

Excellent tool to practice wu wei - good players are supposed to act without pause for thought, as they should be able to preceive the flow of the whole match as a continuum.

As a tao, if you will.

I play every now and then, but not enough to not be horrible. If I had a group to play with and learn from I may play more often.

I'm curious, how many of you play Go? It's an excellent game and I have a hunch at least one of you does ^__6.

I find it's a good way to condense life practices into a single game. Go is all about balance and being greedy or angry will lose you the game.

I do, but I am only 10-8 kyu.

There are many relations between Go and Taoism. Starting from the fact that the empty places around a group are called Qi (breath), and when a group has no more QI is dead. Also I see various style of play being representatives of various energies. Where the Cosmic style would really relate with the Wu Ji.

Also you can quite easily take the 4 basic energies of Tai Ji, and use them to develop various style of games. Depending if you are pushing or squeezing toward the border, or squeezing toward your territory (think when you take away the base to a group, and they need to run... toward your territory harharhar >;-P ).

You have the concept of grounding, and the need to have a base before growing. Really there are very interesting relations between the concepts in Go and Taoists concepts.

Said that I could not find any authenthic Taoist meditation-Go source. It seems Go has become a technical game. And few people are really interested in the philosphical base of it.

But if you think that historically, when in Japan, the best go players were celibate Buddhist monks, you see the ground is there. If a tree has grown in those thousands of years when Go was in China with Taoism, they are still keeping it well hidden. Maybe like Internal Martial Arts some 50 years ago.

I play go I love the game.

So like probably 10 years ago my dads friend went to japan with the boy scouts and he brought back some souveniers for us and one of them was a wierd game that i had never seen before, so we put in somewhere and did not think about it for a while then i was watching hikaru no go "japanese anime about go" and i thought about this game so i went to our basement amd found it and sure enough it was a travel version of go.

Sign in to follow this