sean

Advanced Yoga Practices

Growant :)

http://thetaobums.com/topic/25632-a-review-of-ayp-from-an-ex-practitioner/?p=378290

You know, the fire method (kundalini) is one of the most dangerous methodologies to pick up without an experienced live teacher. So it is actually hilarious that AYP is anti-guru, has no remedies for the kundalini overload that most of his practitioners experience, has bastardized most practices (see samyama) etc. etc.. etc.. Don't get me started again...

And you might want to ask yourself, how can you mix customized Kriya Yoga with TM? Yogani is one of the best con-artists out there.

Please read that link above, if you are interested.

:)

TI

• Like 1

Growant :)

http://thetaobums.com/topic/25632-a-review-of-ayp-from-an-ex-practitioner/?p=378290

You know, the fire method (kundalini) is one of the most dangerous methodologies to pick up without an experienced live teacher. So it is actually hilarious that AYP is anti-guru, has no remedies for the kundalini overload that most of his practitioners experience, has bastardized most practices (see samyama) etc. etc.. etc.. Don't get me started again...

And you might want to ask yourself, how can you mix customized Kriya Yoga with TM? Yogani is one of the best con-artists out there.

Please read that link above, if you are interested.

TI

When I saw this thread I was going to post that link, lol.

yogani's system has good points for sure. But it has serious issues with it that you don't notice unless you really, really discern... or end up with something like kundalini syndrome.

Please, read the whole linked post (http://thetaobums.com/topic/25632-a-review-of-ayp-from-an-ex-practitioner/?p=378290) fully and think about it deeply. Don't just dismiss what I and TI are saying as sour grapes, sectarianism, etc. Give it a fair hearing. I have no personal grudge against yogani, and benefitted from AYP for about two years. Towards the end of that time, however, glaring issues became clear and I consider it important to inform people of my opinion on this matter.

If you only take a few points, take these:

*'Inner silence' produced by DM is just another construct in the mind. The DM procedure reduces coarse thoughts, but doesn't refine awareness to sustained jhana/samadhi or deep insight. That takes active focus to train out excitation and dullness.

*Spinal breathing is not a solution to kundalini syndrome - instead of trying to force it back down against the current, take it down the front channel to tan tien.

*Cultivation isn't something just in sitting practice and asanas, it must be constant. We should introspect to figure out our flaws, and really try to develop their opposites. We have to limit multitasking and increase our mindfulness in all things, if we want to really progress in meditation. Don't just be loving, wise and mindful for a set period of the day - although sitting practice is still very important!

Here are some books, articles, etc I would recommend over yogani's writings. Even if you disagree with me about AYP, look at these 'cos they're good:

*Bill Bodri's stuff. Especially the articles on his site about the jhanas, not obsessing over chi, and jing retention.

*Master Nan-huai Chin's 'Working Towards Enlightenment' and 'To Realise Enlightenment' - free on scribd.

*'The Attention Revolution' by Alan Wallace - EXTREMELY IMPORTANT INFORMATION!

*'A Guide to the Bodhisattva Way of Life' - PDF available online, very inspiring and clear.

*'The Sutra of Hui-neng' by Thomas Clearly - get a working understanding of Buddhist ideas first. Once you understand stuff like trikaya, sunyata, anatta, etc this book is excellent.

*http://swamij.com/index-yoga-meditation-yoga-sutras.htm See how Patanjali's samyama and the last 3 limbs are actually the opposite of what yogani teaches.

Edited by Seeker of the Self

I read the linked post. This has not been my experience or my truth, though I acknowledge it as yours. I've been going through a VERY stressful time lately and shortly after resuming AYP practices I feel calmer, more centered, more aware, better, and happier than I have in quite some time. It occurs to me that 'inhibiting cognitive abilities' may be another term for stopping the monkey mind/stopping the internal dialogue. If what I'm feeling is 'inhibited cognitive abilities' than I'll take it over what I felt before.

This is not to deny your experiences. Different people may resonate with different paths, doesn't make the path 'bad.' Best to you all in your practices-