Sign in to follow this  
Bum Grasshopper

Gout help please!

Amazing the healing powers a little money in your pocket has!

Or the power of belief ;)

Or the power of belief ;)

I honestly believed that my condition was hereditary, or based on diet. I thought that diet changes would "cure" me. It wasn't until I read your post that I thought otherwise because you described my situation to the tee. It was only an after thought that I realized that when I got the money, my symptoms disappeared. I have a new way of thinking of things now.

I have a new way of thinking of things now.

And that you created yourself. Awesome.

Well, back to a more physically based explanation, gout is related to vitamin C depletion. Stress causes major vitamin C depletion. End stress, vitamin C reserves rebound, gout gone. Try an experiement next time, if there is a next time, and increase your vitamin C dramatically, see it it helps.

Right now, yahoo it's gone!

I honestly believed that my condition was hereditary, or based on diet. I thought that diet changes would "cure" me.
Just to add to the dietary discussion though, fructose (namely in soft drinks sweetened with HIGH-FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP) have also been linked to gout:
The British Journal of Medicine reported on a 12 year study that showed sugar-sweetened soft drinks and fructose increased the incidence of gout.

Gout is the most common arthritis in men and its prevalence has doubled in the United States within the past few decades. Coincidentally, that is the same period in which fructose sweetened soft drinks represent the largest single source of calories in the U.S. diet. The researchers found that men (study age 40-75 years) who drank more sweetened drinks had more gout proportional to the number of drinks a week. It included sweetened fruit juices and soft drinks but not diet drinks.

For gout, sweetened soft drinks are worse than hard liquor -- and nearly as bad as beer -- doubling the risk for heavy drinkers. Diet sodas, however, don't affect gout risk.

Two or more soft drinks each day upped gout risk by 85%.

One soft drink each day upped gout risk by 45%.

Five or six soft drinks each week upped gout risk by 29%.

That's comparable to the gout risk of men who drink two to four alcoholic beverages a day.

Beer raises gout risk by 49% per daily serving. A daily serving of spirits raises gout risk by 15%. Sweetened soft drinks, find University of British Columbia researcher Hyon K. Choi, MD, PhD, and colleagues, raise gout risk by 35% per serving.

Gout is an extremely painful form of arthritis in which uric acid crystals accumulate in the joints.

Foods already known to cause gout have high levels of purine compounds. Such foods include red meat, organ meats, and shellfish. But diet isn't the only cause of gout. Many gout sufferers inherit a tendency to generate too much uric acid; others inherit an inability to efficiently eliminate uric acid in the urine.

What soft drinks do contain is high-fructose corn syrup. Unlike glucose, the sugar our bodies uses for fuel, fructose raises uric acid levels. High levels of uric acid are linked to gout.

This is in addition to purine-containing foods, alcohol & lead.

Sign in to follow this