Sign in to follow this  
el_tortugo

running and dancing

I am looking for info about various indiginous traditions of running and dancing.... particularly how thay actually ran and danced (the physical movements and internal as well).

I know this would be hard to find but maybe someone here knows.

I'll look into a few things here...

I know there's something laying in my library in boxes in correlation to this.

Something titled "White Buffalo Woman" but I cannot remember the author's name.

But here's a little idea that I've implemented in many dancing exercises.

I play either of these two bands on my iPod or enterainment sounds system

Dead Can Dance

Afro Celt Sound System

And do Crow circle dance (which is simply spinning in three interchanging cycles. First, you dance in a circle in place. Second, you add the movement of doing this and dancing into a clockwise circle about 5 feet in diameter. Third and last, you wave your arms in a figure 8 <refer to the movement in PCK where you are embracing sun and moon essence> all at the same time. It sounds hard, but when you get the hang of it, is really easy to implement...and very powerful for your energy which in turn is powered by your adrenaline during this dance-you will feel a very noticible difference but in no way is it harmful unless you have heart/blood pressure problems. Of course...it makes sense because if you have conditions such as these you are most certainly "not in balance" and sometimes even lack of respect of/with your body energy.

And another I've found to be very grounding is Bear battle dance (which is standing in place with your legs spread out a little for superior balance and then you shake your whole body for a few minutes and increase intensity as you go. I have added focusing on my core channel and doing any mixture of IS, MCO, or HS as needed by each different day. Then, after those few minutes...you stop. Empty mind...hold your head skyward and expel excess sound. This can be quiet, or your loudest whatever at that second you don't hang onto thinking about what sounds you will do and what they are for you just LET IT RIP OUT OF YOU AS IT WAS INTENDED. You can repeat, if you'd like, the same thing again but after 3 it tends to get more sensitized and unneccessary. You will most certainly get amazing results after 1 or 2, if you are keeping genuine in your heart and mind when the need is most in demand.

Other than that...I haven't tried any other Lakota tribal dance...I just kind of make up my own in that white woman style-kinda way!!

But as for running...well...my reasons for not doing as much of that are kinda strange and personal...

Pleasant journeys,

~Michelle

John DuCane talks about the Maori tarzan drill which is similar to Ken Cohen's Wake Up drill in Way of Qigong. Low, wide horsestance and beat your chest like Tarzan yelling "aaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhaaaaaaaahhhhh" just like the jungle master. The Maori have lots of slapping and stomping and yelling and grunting too. Ken's version is to stand low for awhile and then slap yourself all over with your hands before running or swimming or going to war or whatever. It's my impression that the primitive hunting traditions have a lot of that Maori stomping, yelling, jumping going on around the campfire. Doing it in a circle keeps the group energy more focused than everyone running along a path.

I suck at war, but I like the associated warrior practices.

I just ran 30 minutes and wrapped it up with warrior wellness today. Nice combo. Shower, some green tea, groovy healing sounds, etc.

-Yoda

thank yous for your responses...

i recenty was shown how a south american tribe runs.... mostly for distance and to be able to endure..... they use a low posture (sunk like in horse) and raise their legs up while keeping low....this is done slowly and each step is very rooted.... much like many american indian dances...

i will post more as i find it.

Sign in to follow this