Mal

Taiji Article with Sifu Adam Mizner

I've been practicing Taiji only for about 4 months in a big city in China from a teacher who's teacher was very famous and has died now (i've only just been accepted that he will actually teach me last week). My teacher has created his own Taiji style and he's very good. But i still don't feel he would have a chance in a UFC tournament or something like that. Mind you he's 60 years old and i know he'd easily kick my arse.

I've had a bit of experience with BJJ and some forms of Karate and my brother has been doing ninjisu for 8 years or so and i've spared with him a fair bit. I think you learn alot more about life and using the others strength in taiji, not just for beating the biggest meathead around. Also it takes so long to become good at tai chi, it's not something you can learn for 3 months then have some ability to protect yourself with, like i think you could do with karate or something. After you've practiced for a few years i think you will be able to defend yourself against the general person who will try to attack you and be quiet a tough cookie to beat but i think ur still going to get ripped apart by vandelai silver or some crazy UFC psycho. But then when do you really come up against someone like that in the real world. I think tai chi is great for relaxing and health and execercising without risk of injuries, but if you want to be the number 1 fighter in the world in a hurry you need something else.