mat black

fate, free will destiny & karma

The truth is that there is no way to ascertain whether this place is a reward, punishment, or neither. So there is no way to conclude what the meaning of an extended stay could be. Maybe a short stay is a reward? It's quite possible.

For all we know, the boy may have been heading toward a very unpleasant future had he not been kind to the ants. Why else would his face have indicated that he was soon going to die at such a young age? In the boys' case, it was apparent that the extended stay allowed him to release and purify some negative karma - indeed that's how it is for all of us. AN early death may have had him reborn in an even less auspicious circumstance.

Whether this life is seen as a reward or punishment is determined by the karma we have created in the past, that's why many people have such differnt life circumstances.

If our circumstances are unpleasnt, it doesn't help to just opt out, we have to earn liberation.

If someone helps someone else just because they are avoiding a blow from a big karmic stick, they are not helping anyone other than themselves

I think Steves' response applies here:

The beauty of compassion is it's independence of reward.

This is the essence of the boy's act.

And yet the story tells us that his act is rewarded with long life.

I can't help but appreciate the irony.

If we act in kindness with no thought of personal benefit, that is authentic compassion. The boy was moved to act through concern for the ants' welfare - there was no sign of selfish motive, and yet the amazing thing is that the boy was spared death at a young age, and hence more time to cultivate the way. (and he inadvertantly learned a valuable lesson at the same time)

All these traditional stories are as ignorant and stupid as they are wise.

I think compassion is a good quality to cultivate, but that story is not a good story to inspire true compassion.

The value of the story is determined by an individual's capacity to be inspired by it to act in ways which accord with harmony, peace and virtue. Sorry if this story did not serve this purpose for you.

Like seadog said, do you (or anyone else) have any stories that might inspire compassion? Though it is always up to the individual to choose how to behave and act throughout life, I really like it when we are able to use a forum like this to encourage each other by sharing stories whether personal experience, or ancient tales. Supportiveness can be valuable on the path.

Edited by mat black