Sign in to follow this  
Franklin

The Next Great Thing?

People will attach themselves to a system or a guru and if a better one comes along they will jump over to the other one but be on the lookout for the next great thing.

I think there is something to finding a practice that resonates with you. Maybe for the simple fact that if you do not like to practice chances are you won't. And what resonates with you might change over time and might be a natural progression. But this is different than actively searching and attaching to a school or teacher.

I was talking to someone the other day and we were discussing someones relative who was recently converted to a new religion. And it was brought up that the recently converted usually have a greater religious fervor. Maybe this is to justify there choice to others or themselves, who knows.

I believe everyone should be free to follow their own path. It makes life more interesting.

For instance I enjoy reading the posts on this forum because they represent many different people with many different paths and life experience.

To me practice is about building a relationship of trust, love, and respect with yourself.

Also I noticed that the foundation work of many systems is very similar.

I also think that simple practices delved deeply into and practiced consistently will also give great results.

(this post is not an attack or a condemning of anyone but hopefully a vehicle to discourse)

Any thoughts or comments are welcome.

Franklin

To me practice is about building a relationship of trust, love, and respect with yourself.

Here, here! Just as with romantic relationships, you could find a new fling once the initial infatuation fades or ride through the good and bad with your love the whole life-long. Of course, sometimes it really doesn't work out and it's best to find a new lover.

Here, here! Just as with romantic relationships, you could find a new fling once the initial infatuation fades or ride through the good and bad with your love the whole life-long. Of course, sometimes it really doesn't work out and it's best to find a new lover.

lol

how can your relationship with yourself not work out...

find another lover-

who else can you be but yourself

at the end of the search you will find that you were there all along

the famous quote "without going out the door you can know all things"

i think that might be why people skip around so much - they are looking for another lover rather than building a relationship with themselves....

Franklin

Well, as metaphors can get a bit general, specifically I was referring to one's relationship with a practice. For instance, Kundalini yoga may not be everyone's thing, no need to doggedly insist on continuing if it doesn't vibe with you.

But, yeah... I love my self ;)

All good points Franklin - very nice post.

I agree that a simple system practiced and studied very deeply is more likely to be of real value than a complex system. More complexity means less time to perfect each step and each detail.

As for new converts or beginning students being the most intense, I think there are a number of reasons:

- the new adept only has a superficial understanding of the system and may not yet have had any negative experiences or information creep in to muddy the waters

- the new student is at the stage where everything is new and exciting and they are working hard to absorb things and put them together. They haven't yet had the chance to become bored or disillusioned

- the new adept has a (probably unrealistic) very high regard for their teacher or guru and has yet to have any reason to see through this and appreciate the fact that the teacher is imperfect and human

Regarding the relationship with yourself - how many of us know who and what we really are?

'Ourself' is basically a story we are conditioned to accept. We can easily fall out of love with ourselves. Our relationship with ourself often doesn't work out - ie mental and physical illness...

Sign in to follow this