exorcist_1699

Other famous Taoist writings

Guest artform

One of the primary functions of the human mind is to make comparisons and judgements.

It's very valuable in choosing places to sleep, safe foods to eat, which animals to pursue and which to flee, which job is more lucrative, who to mate with, and so forth. If you look carefully at thought you may find that it does relatively little beyond comparing and judging. It is why we are so "successful" as a species.

How meaningful is it to compare and judge different spiritual and religious traditions?

Aren't they just human ideas that try (yet must always fail) to capture that which can never be fully captured?

Perhaps one who has completely mastered both Daoism and Zen could make meaningful comparisons.

I doubt that anyone on this forum is truly qualified to make such judgements.

How many humans have mastered both Daoism and Zen? Or either?

Even then, of what value is it to make such comparisons?

Are Zen masters lesser beings than Daoist masters?

If so, is that an absolute truth or a relative one?

Why are Daoist ideas preferrable to Zen ideas?

Is this a relative or absolute?

I don't mean to be argumentative or disrespectful.

I just question the entire concept of best or better, particularly in spiritual matters.

I chose to follow Dao, you choose to follow Zen. When we move far enough along the path we realize that there is no separatation between us. The separation is the very illusion we are "each" trying to transcend. We are "I". So how can there be a meaningful difference between our myths?

For me, seeking peace

This must be fundamental

Not one exception

With great respect to all our traditions, are not the two greatest threats reductionist fundamentalism and sectarian exceptionalism? Isn't this one of the greatest challenges in the emerging potential of a planetary spiritual culture?

What does everyone think of Hans Kung et al and the Global Ethic approach, exploring/finding common ground beginning with the Golden Rule in every tradition?

all the best to all

artform

Edited by artform

One of the primary functions of the human mind is to make comparisons and judgements.

It's very valuable in choosing places to sleep, safe foods to eat, which animals to pursue and which to flee, which job is more lucrative, who to mate with, and so forth. If you look carefully at thought you may find that it does relatively little beyond comparing and judging. It is why we are so "successful" as a species.

How meaningful is it to compare and judge different spiritual and religious traditions?

Aren't they just human ideas that try (yet must always fail) to capture that which can never be fully captured?

Perhaps one who has completely mastered both Daoism and Zen could make meaningful comparisons.

I doubt that anyone on this forum is truly qualified to make such judgements.

How many humans have mastered both Daoism and Zen? Or either?

Even then, of what value is it to make such comparisons?

Are Zen masters lesser beings than Daoist masters?

If so, is that an absolute truth or a relative one?

Why are Daoist ideas preferrable to Zen ideas?

Is this a relative or absolute?

I don't mean to be argumentative or disrespectful.

I just question the entire concept of best or better, particularly in spiritual matters.

I chose to follow Dao, you choose to follow Zen. When we move far enough along the path we realize that there is no separatation between us. The separation is the very illusion we are "each" trying to transcend. We are "I". So how can there be a meaningful difference between our myths?

Namaste friend xuesheng.

Understand the difference between Zen Buddhism and Taoism is advantageous, and there is nothing to do with trying to arouse the sectarian quarrels between the two schools .

We all know that nourish a greater ,omnipotent Mind out of mindlessness is the target of Buddhism, however, because of lack of the concepts /stuff such as jing and qi in Buddhism , what the seemingly good result it likely generates is a clear , still state of mindlessness , a static ,tranquil unity between the self with the university , which, many people recognize as some status close to the destination or some sort of accomplishment; Unfortunately it is not . In contrast , it is actually some kind of trap in Buddhist way of cultivation that bars most people from advancing.

Different ways have different traps, Taoist has its own ; for example , attachment to sexual pleasure or incorrect "dual cultivation" ..etc

how did you learn Chinese, exorcist?

I started learning Mandarin from teenage .

Edited by exorcist_1699