宁

stuff i thought i knew

It seems that there are two approaches of the matter, Xiao Dao and Da Dao.

Xiao Dao methods acheive results fast, yet they are subscribed to the realm of the impermanent.

Da Dao methods are slow to develop thru hardship, and are subscribed to the realm of complete reality.

For instance, Xiao Dao methods of the microcosmic orbit, use direct means to activate and move the energy, you can do as many as thousand loops of the orbit in only one meditation session.

Da Dao methods of the microcosmic use in-direct methods and the energy loops around the body in the same time with the moon phases, the energy activating and moving thru points, following the sequence of the lunar cycle. One lunar cycle = one loop around the body.

Xiao Dao methods are usually considered to render minor benefits such as health and well-being.

Da Dao methods are said to render major benefits, culminating with enlightenment.

Meanwhile Xiao Dao methods are relatively safe to practice by oneself (you still need some requirements though), the Da Dao methods are not to be practice without the guidance of an advanced practicioner or teacher.

Xiao Dao methods and practicioners are usually discredited and even despised by Da Dao practicioners.

Da Dao methods require much more than the will to practice, and are processes that once started, are dangerous to interrupt or temper with.

Everyone shoots for the stars, of course, everyone wants the best of any practice.

But I think a practicioner, as an accountant, should make a sincere list of his demands and his possibilities regarding a practice.

Some of us want to use the highest technology for the most humble goals.

You don't need a rocket to go to Disneyland. A car or a bike would suffice.

And you can't use a bike if you want to break thru the gravity of the Earth, you need a rocket.

Even more so, i think that there is always a matter of destiny, regarding who is to get a grasp of different levels of the practice, AND regarding the results acheived. And it's my personal experience that the harder you try to get it, the longer it will take...

:)

Choose wisely and in accord to your REAL (not fantasy) goals and REAL (not fantasy) resources.

Just thought it'd make a nice addendum to the thread :)

listening to it i thought about your research on myofascial tensegrity, he may have some gold nuggets there, if i remember correctly... he said something about the way power is stored in the tendons...

YES! I absolutely got big ears when I heard him mention the hundreds of tendons storing energy. tensegrity! There is a lot going on with this research and I will have more coming soon ;)

The thing that "clicked" with me conserning Mantak Chia and all the other spin-off-methods was one sentence he said during the interview you posted Little1: "my students have grown up now, hahaha". Now THAT's an attitude to admire!

Now they are just 'friends'... :) Liked that part also.

edit: i think i'll listen to it a second time.

Edited by Little1

I will say this- I have found that my spiritual practice was the only thing that could help me address this: "(To them it's just a Mind over Matter thing, overly yang attitude. If the body does not comply, their logic says the problem is the technique. Actually it's the way it's applied - that's the problem)". The way I apply a technique, the how, the grace, the overarching texture of the moment, it's only been available to me during times of great spiritual growth. Learning the body has given me a loose map, but the spiritual clarity is what allows me to travel the actual terrain, appreciating the difference.

If you search thru this forum you'll find quite alot of negative statements and experiences regarding the sexual practices.

The first time I saw this I found it odd. Then annoying. Then amusing.

Consider the fact that I have the following background:

- learned it from an instructor

- used it with VERY good results

- have friends that do it with alot of positive feedback

I really don't know how people get problems with it.

I have some clues about it though:

1. Most of the practicioners are in a big hurry to master retention (Just pick up a book and start doing it)

2. They don't do their homework well (No further study on the implications of what they are doing)

3. They don't study the anatomy part of the problem (until it's too late)

4. They don't listen to the signs of the body (To them it's just a Mind over Matter thing, overly yang attitude. If the body does not comply, their logic says the problem is the technique. Actually it's the way it's applied - that's the problem)

5. They don't consider that Sexual Gongfu practice may be part of a larger system of practices that work best together (This idea is part of the sollution to your problem:) )

6. They don't stop to think that when you get involved in Taming the White Tiger, you need alot of patience, timing, empathy, feedback...

7. Accidents are part of the learning process. But to them accidents are reasons to skip and avoid the practice.

I'm aware this may sound a bit harsh. Sorry about that....

Just want to add an obvious statement:

When it comes to giving or taking advice,

people listen to fear better than they listen to reason.

(So I guess I'll have to work better on that in the future. It's doing too good of a job, I see)

each of us have a chanse at enlightment and immortality.

with what?

with no more than what life puts in your way. what you attract.

to find the best method, is to know how you function.

the method is just an algorithm. there are many, and there will ever be many more invented.

because the methods were conceived for the man, not the man conceived for the methods.

you would love seeing the movie "The Silent Flute".

im sure this question will be adressed for millenia to come, this is my small contribution for it.

The Living Tao and The Immortal Tao

there are mainly two ways of practicing taoism:

- the day-to-day, living tao, that adresses health benefits, healing of chronic diseases, strenghtening of the tendons, bones, senses, and the general sense of wellbeing. also emotional balance, serenity and inner peace, and a new way to regain confidence and good relationships.

for some of the seekers out there these health related and emotional related issues are "The Lesser Dao", to say the least. many of them even despize them, sort of.

other seekers have developed some maturity and understood the value of these aspects, and go for it, caring less for other people's distrust.

- the next level is the immortal dao, or the spiritual practice of the tao. i cannot comment much on this, as i am bearly a beginner myself.

the thing is, the technical issue is, that you cannot use the same type of resources for the both of them. this means that living tao practices help you do just that, live happily, stronger, yes wealthier, and more at peace with yourself and with others. so you cannot use living tao methods to attain spiritual acheivements.

but living tao acheivements are, at least as taught my mantak chia, the foundation of higher practices.

alchemy and meditation burn up huge quantities of resources.

you need to build up resources for the higher practices, using living tao methods, which are, practically, a healthier way of living...

the nay-sayers will learn to understand this, as their reserves will someday reach the bottom

starting with spiritual practice is not very difficult to do.

because everyone has some resources.

the catch is, spiritual acheivements cannot and willnot solve physical and emotional issues.

it's like trying to mate an ape with a penguin, they are so different.

each domain, the physical, the emotional, the mental, the spiritual, has it's own set of cures.

some people say that starting up with spiritual practice, before you understand the other three domains of activity, can lead one to evolve up to... his/her own level of incompetence... which means sooner or later you will get stuck somewhere, and think This Is It.

so it goes both sides, living tao practices cannot lead to spiritual acheivements, and spiritual tao practices cannot heal everyday issues, including sex, money, health, social behaviour, and so on.

the point is, we need both.

the frustration comes when we see that there is so much to work with in living tao practices, that we can never hope to ever see the moment when we start to work with the spiritual aspects.

L1

I try to employ the attitude of just working sincerely, not too hard or too lax, and find out what happened.

I really benefited from Mantak Chia's work. I also liked that his books were (at the time) not his day-job!

Over a period of months, I eventually experienced what it's like to "stop up", and the by-product of following the practice he laid out came in handy in evolutionary aspects of my life at that time.

I've retained the easiest and most subtle elements of the work and haven't lingered in the hot and dense energy.

Nice thread!