Sign in to follow this  
cloud recluse

Soy Milk Allergy ?

After becoming intolerant of dairy products ( they cause acidic reflux & , bloating & flatulence ) , I switched to soy about 10 months ago . All seemed to go pretty groovy .

But lately , it seems as though , a few hours after having any , I get some kind of irritation in my nasal passages .

Now I say SEEMS at this point , its by no means a verified connection, but its led me to wonder . Are there any typical symptoms of allergic reactions to soymilk ?

It's actually a very healthy reaction to something that is inedible :) . See the Weston Price Foundation article, Soy Alert. This applies to unfermented soy as in soy milk, tofu, soy burgers and all kinds of other soy protein products. Fermented soy such as miso, tamari and tempeh don't have the same problem.

The alternative to the inedible pasteurized milk isn't inedible soy, but raw milk! - if you can get it.

I should add that most soy is genetically modified unless it's organic, so even fermented soy that isn't organic may still cause problems because of all sorts of potential allergens in GM foods.

Edited by karen

^ Agreed. Soy milk is actually a relatively recent invention...as opposed to the various fermented products.

And I don't believe modern soy milk is fermented or precipitated or anything. Which is why it gives me bloating and I avoid it.

But, why do people always think that dietary items always have to have a "substitute" that looks and tastes relatively the same, anyways? It's like, why do carnivores going veggy have to find veggy-based products remolded to look and taste like meat? Why don't you just break out of the whole paradigm of your old diet and eat whatever you need in whatever forms they come in?

If you want additional calcium or protein - there are many sources for that that don't resemble dairy (or meat) products at all. Open your minds, people! :D

^

Why don't you just break out of the whole paradigm of your old diet and eat whatever you need in whatever forms they come in?

There's a lot of truth behind that. Yet, the best way to help someone get to their own individual next step, isn't always to insist that they open their mind - belief systems about diet are very powerful and not easily let go of, for most. Often the person isn't ready to let go of a habit entirely but might be willing to make simpler changes that will get them there in a gradual process. Depends on the person, just like any teaching.

Then there are foods like almond milk, which I don't consider a substitute just because it looks like dairy milk. And my sister makes an amazing pate with walnuts that's strangely like chopped liver but isn't intended to be!

But generally, I think the substitute foods may be used in an attempt to get a certain energetic quality of the original food - the issue is to sort out what the person really needs from their false beliefs about it.

Edited by karen

Sign in to follow this