Sign in to follow this  
Vajra Fist

The fragility of our lives

Recently I've been reflecting on the increasing geopolitical tensions and the likelihood for a new global war in our lifetimes. 

In the Western world, we have perhaps some of the most favorable conditions in history for cultivation. Teachings are everywhere and previously sequestered lineages are accessible from your home. We have no disease, famine, extreme poverty or war. 

But that could all change. For some reason yesterday I got a Facebook update from a chap called the Khenchen Lama Rinpoche. He prophesied a global nuclear war by 2030, and recommended his followers certain practices to stave off that possibility.

I don't know anything about him or if he is a reliable source, but it lit a fire under my arse. I feel like instead of spending the majority of my time on hobbies, entertainment, I should perhaps practice more. Practice as much as I physically can. After all, we don't know when this special period of peace might end. 

• Like 2

Depressing news from the Buddhists lately:

There is no self

Global nuclear war in the future 

Etc etc. 

:D:D

• Haha 5

On 17/04/2024 at 10:28 AM, johndoe2012 said:

Depressing news from the Buddhists lately:

There is no self

Global nuclear war in the future 

Etc etc. 

:D:D

They love a bit of suffering!

• Haha 4

On 4/16/2024 at 1:17 AM, Vajra Fist said:

Recently I've been reflecting on the increasing geopolitical tensions and the likelihood for a new global war in our lifetimes. 

In the Western world, we have perhaps some of the most favorable conditions in history for cultivation. Teachings are everywhere and previously sequestered lineages are accessible from your home. We have no disease, famine, extreme poverty or war. 

But that could all change. For some reason yesterday I got a Facebook update from a chap called the Khenchen Lama Rinpoche. He prophesied a global nuclear war by 2030, and recommended his followers certain practices to stave off that possibility.

I don't know anything about him or if he is a reliable source, but it lit a fire under my arse. I feel like instead of spending the majority of my time on hobbies, entertainment, I should perhaps practice more. Practice as much as I physically can. After all, we don't know when this special period of peace might end. 

Mr. Downer Himself:

… the Blessed One addressed the monks. “Whoever develops mindfulness of death, thinking, ‘O, that I might live for a day and night… for a day… for the interval that it takes to eat a meal… for the interval that it takes to swallow having chewed up four morsels of food, that I might attend to the Blessed One’s instructions. I would have accomplished a great deal’–they are said to dwell heedlessly. They develop mindfulness of death slowly for the sake of ending the effluents.

“But whoever develops mindfulness of death, thinking, ‘O, that I might live for the interval that it takes to swallow having chewed up one morsel of food… for the interval that it takes to breathe out after breathing in, or to breathe in after breathing out, that I might attend to the Blessed One’s instructions. I would have accomplished a great deal’–they are said to dwell heedfully. They develop mindfulness of death acutely for the sake of ending the effluents.

“Therefore you should train yourselves: ‘We will dwell heedfully. We will develop mindfulness of death acutely for the sake of ending the effluents.’ That is how you should train yourselves.”

(Maraṇassati Sutta  AN 6:19, tr Thanissaro Bhikkyu; Pali Text Society AN volume III p 218; I think I prefer I. B. Horner's "cankers" over Thanissaro Bhikkyu's "effluents")

And why is that, you ask.  I would say that is because the interval that matters is like the one immediately before falling asleep.  Something I hope to post to my own site soon:

Just before falling asleep, the ability to act by volition shuts down, and consciousness catalyzes activity necessary to the movement of breath by taking place at a particular location or at successive locations in the body. At that time, the placement of consciousness alone coordinates activity, and if the mind should attempt to wrest the placement of consciousness back under control, a hypnic jerk results that interrupts sleep.

I sit down first thing in the morning and last thing at night, and I look to experience activity of the body through a placement of attention like that just before sleep.

As a matter of daily life, just to touch on such experience, as occasion demands--that's enough.

That kind of placement of attention can be experienced in "the interval that it takes to swallow having chewed up one morsel of food", or "the interval that it takes to breathe out after breathing in, or to breathe in after breathing out".  

• Like 1

The Preparation: Reciting the Four Contemplations which Turn the Mind

namo, lumé ten gyi gönpo lama khyen

Homage! O lama, my unfailing and constant protector!

daljor di ni shintu nyepar ka

This free and endowed human birth is very difficult to obtain.

kyé tsé mitak chiwé chöchen yin

Everything that is born is by its nature impermanent and bound to die.

ge dik lé kyi gyundré luwamé

Beneficial and harmful actions bring their inevitable results.

kham sum khorwa dukngal gyatsö ngang

The three realms of saṃsāra are an ocean of suffering.

dren né dak lo chö la gyurwar show

Recognizing this, may my mind turn towards the Dharma.

- Four Thoughts that Turn the Mind Towards the Dharma - Dudjom Rinpoche, Dudjom Tersar Ngondro Text

Chanted this one over 100,000 times. Still do occasionally, when it comes to mind. Rededicate yourself to the path! It's worth thinking about. :) 

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this