forestofemptiness

Detailed Experiential Overview of Advaita

Posted (edited)

I've watched over a thousand hours (or more) of Swami Sarvapriyananda's videos. This is possibly one of the best I have come across. The whole video is great, but the core is probably from 15:00ish-45:00ish. 

Context: he is explaining the mahavakya Tat Tvam Asi: You are That. 

Edited by forestofemptiness
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

23 hours ago, forestofemptiness said:

Context: he is explaining the mahavakya Tat Tvam Asi: I am that. 

Tat Tvam Asi is You are That (not I am) :D

Overall, I found this series to be a terrific overview that answers many questions, especially the Advaitic conception of God and how that contrasts with Visistadvaita and even Samkhya. It is also interesting to see how the macrocosm is mapped onto the microcosm from a AV point of view using the pancakosha or 5 sheath model. He has some interesting quips about deity practice as well, and continues to make some daring comparisons with Tibetan Buddhism.

The essential point is that Swami sets out the historical, experiential, metaphysical, and grammatical background for the Brahman = Atman equation. In order to do that, he needs to explain first off what we are, what Brahman is, and what it means to draw an equivalence. It is also fairly brief for a Swami S series (although 10-11 hours is probably not brief for most). 

• Like 2