Maddie

Most and least favorite Suttas/Sutras

Just curious what everyone's favorite or least favorite Suttas/Sutras were and why? 

On 2/11/2024 at 10:57 AM, Maddie said:

Just curious what everyone's favorite or least favorite Suttas/Sutras were and why? 

As far as favorites, I think that would have to be Maha-Parinibbana Sutta, because of a few things Gautama said in that sutta:

(from Part Two: The Journey to Vesali)

32. ... What more does the community of bhikkhus expect from me, Ananda? I have set forth the Dhamma without making any distinction of esoteric and exoteric doctrine; there is nothing, Ananda, with regard to the teachings that the Tathagata holds to the last with the closed fist of a teacher who keeps some things back. 

Now I am frail, Ananda, old, aged, far gone in years. This is my eightieth year, and my life is spent. Even as an old cart, Ananda, is held together with much difficulty, so the body of the Tathagata is kept going only with supports. It is, Ananda, only when the Tathagata, disregarding external objects, with the cessation of certain feelings, attains to and abides in the signless concentration of mind, [19] that his body is more comfortable.

33. "Therefore, Ananda, be islands unto yourselves, refuges unto yourselves, seeking no external refuge; with the Dhamma as your island, the Dhamma as your refuge, seeking no other refuge.

"And how, Ananda, is a bhikkhu an island unto himself, a refuge unto himself, seeking no external refuge; with the Dhamma as his island, the Dhamma as his refuge, seeking no other refuge?

34. "When he dwells contemplating the body in the body, earnestly, clearly comprehending, and mindfully, after having overcome desire and sorrow in regard to the world; when he dwells contemplating feelings in feelings, the mind in the mind, and mental objects in mental objects, earnestly, clearly comprehending, and mindfully, after having overcome desire and sorrow in regard to the world, then, truly, he is an island unto himself, a refuge unto himself, seeking no external refuge; having the Dhamma as his island, the Dhamma as his refuge, seeking no other refuge.

35. "Those bhikkhus of mine, Ananda, who now or after I am gone, abide as an island unto themselves, as a refuge unto themselves, seeking no other refuge; having the Dhamma as their island and refuge, seeking no other refuge: it is they who will become the highest, [20] if they have the desire to learn."

(from Part Six: The Passing Away)

8. ... Behold now, bhikkhus, I exhort you: All compounded things are subject to vanish. Strive with earnestness!

(DN 16 PTS: D ii 72 chapters 1-6 "Maha-parinibbana Sutta: Last Days of the Buddha", tr Sister Vajira & Francis Story, © 1998)

My favorite translation of that last would be:  "Everything changes.  Work out your own salvation!"

Edited by Mark Foote
  • Like 1