First off, i am not interrested in theology, scripture or doctrine in this thread. I want to learn from what culture the faith developed and was influenced by, the cannonization of it, what sciences like archeology, linguistics etc. can tell us.

I hope you can accept that in this thread.

I have not read this but some archaeological history in it  might answer part of your question ;

https://www.academia.edu/82092394/The_Origins_of_Judaism_An_Archaeological_Historical_Reappraisal

or for a brief intro ;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Origins_of_Judaism#Iron_Age_Yahwism

significant ;

" During Josiah's reign, Assyrian power suddenly collapsed, and a pro-independence movement took power promoting both the independence of Judah from foreign overlords and loyalty to Yahweh as the sole god of Israel. With Josiah's support, the "Yahweh-alone" movement launched a full-scale reform of worship, including a covenant (i.e., treaty) between Judah and Yahweh, replacing that between Judah and Assyria. "

Around this time the history was retro written  to extend the 'Jewish story'  back to Abraham  and  stories and myth taken  from other sources and  concocted into a 'history '  including some old affirming scrolls that where 'found in a cave ' .  I watched a great doco on this from a Rabbi who was very 'up front '  and realistic about it all, perhaps I should  leave such things up to  him , as I would probably be accused of bias for holding this view .

I'll try and find it , but internet is atrocious here today .

Edited by Nungali

This is nt the videao I was recalling , but it  seems similar .

The significant  change over point in the religion is described from 7:30   onwards

from 19:00  describes another major shift

from 28:05  - the first time the 'ancient'  book appears

from 32:40  , a 'modern. academic view of the 'compilations'

from 42 :10  - what do Jewish people think and feel about this 'historical' view over the religious teaching  ( The Book always existed from the time of Moses )  ?

Edited by Nungali
  • Thanks 1

' Reasons '  ? 

“Ideologies” or “Theologies” of the Pentateuch in Their Historical Contexts

https://www.ias.edu/ideas/2018/schmid-torah

Author of the Torah ?

https://muse.jhu.edu/pub/244/book/29516

An in-depth examination that separates the historical Ezra from the biblical legend

The historical Ezra was sent to Jerusalem as an emissary of the Persian monarch. What was his task? According to the Bible, the Persian king sent Ezra to bring the Torah, the five books of the Laws of Moses, to the Jews. Modern scholars have claimed not only that Ezra brought the Torah to Jerusalem, but that he actually wrote it, and in so doing Ezra created Judaism. Without Ezra, they say, Judaism would not exist.

In Ezra and the Law in History and Tradition, Lisbeth S. Fried separates historical fact from biblical legend. Drawing on inscriptions from the Achaemenid Empire, she presents the historical Ezra in the context of authentic Persian administrative practices and concludes that Ezra, the Persian official, neither wrote nor edited the Torah, nor would he even have known it. The origin of Judaism, so often associated with Ezra by modern scholars, must be sought elsewhere.

After discussing the historical Ezra, Fried examines ancient, medieval, and modern views of him, explaining how each originated, and why. She relates the stories told about Ezra by medieval Christians to explain why their Greek Old Testament differs from the Hebrew Bible, as well as the explanations offered by medieval Samaritans concerning how their Samaritan Bible varies from the one the Jews use. Church Fathers as well as medieval Samaritan writers explained the differences by claiming that Ezra falsified the Bible when he rewrote it, so that in effect, it is not the book that Moses wrote but something else. Moslem scholars also maintain that Ezra falsified the Old Testament, since Mohammed, the last judgment, and Heaven and Hell are revealed in it. In contrast

Jewish Talmudic writers viewed Ezra both as a second Moses and as the prophet Malachi.

In the process of describing ancient, medieval, and modern views of Ezra, Fried brings out various understandings of God, God's law, and God's plan for our salvation. 

Edited by Nungali
  • Thanks 1

On 1/25/2024 at 2:19 PM, NaturaNaturans said:

I want to learn from what culture the faith developed and was influenced by, the cannonization of it, what sciences like archeology, linguistics etc. can tell us.

It's a mystery.

The first challenge is to accurately define judaism.  Maybe start there.

On 29.1.2024 at 3:50 PM, Daniel said:

It's a mystery.

The first challenge is to accurately define judaism.  Maybe start there.

I think you are in a better position to do that. Followers of the Torah, is that fair?