Sign in to follow this  
Vajra Fist

Longevity stick 16 exercises

Found this absolute gem of an exercise set thanks to some eerily well targeted Facebook ads.

Apparently it dates to the 70s. Although there is a western chap who has created a set called 'Jiangan' that supposedly dates back to older Chinese yangshengong exercises. 

This feels sublime for the upper back, particularly if you're generally hunched over a laptop for work like me. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Have been wondering why Buddhists practice Qigong after watching the staff and qigong exercises in the Plum village app, aren't they two different processes? Maybe one goes through the states of jhana and the other through neidan or do they culminate in the same end point?

Edited by Bhathen

On 07/01/2024 at 2:08 AM, Bhathen said:

Have been wondering why Buddhists practice Qigong after watching the staff and qigong exercises in the Plum village app, aren't they two different processes? Maybe one goes through the states of jhana and the other through neidan or do they culminate in the same end point?

Some thai forest monks also do qigong and zen traditions they do zhan zhuang. 

I think it's an expedient means. Aside from the fact that sitting takes a toll on the body, qigong makes a nice type of cross training practice.

One of the quirks of the mind is that it tends to recoil from the body as an object if there's even the slightest bit of pain or discomfort, distracting itself with thoughts as an escape. 

The energies produced by qigong can make the body a pleasant place for the mind to reside. The mind will tend to come back of its own accord, and more regularly. The mind stabilises quicker, enabling deeper states of concentration to then arise.

I've seen some teachers also talk about the link between prana/qi and the breath. I think this the right dharma talk.

But yes, I feel like Buddhist monastics tend to steer away from the actual alchemical side of qigong, aside from of course certain Chan/Zen systems where hara/dantien is emphasised.

Generally speaking, I feel like qigong is useful in so far as it aids in Buddhist practice. But I think sitting for longer is better.

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this