daoboy

Rudi Authentic Neigong

3 hours ago, wandelaar said:

@Infolad1

I also have a life besides reading and posting on The Dao Bums so the effect of your lengthy posts for me has now rapidly turned into pure overkill. Nevertheless I plan to study more about Michael Levin's work and ideas. Thank you very much for mentioning this guy as I didn't know him and I think his work is highly relevant. Has he also written a book about all that?

As for the rest it's within the realm of what I consider spectacular but not necessarily paranormal, or else insufficiently investigated to rule out fraud or self-deception. But I will not here bother to enter into another cycle of futile argumentation.

As to the described breathing exercises as a way to experience some siddhis myself I'm not prepared to risk my health for that.

Hi, Wandelaar,

Fair enough. It is a lot.  

Here's Dr. Levin's site with his papers:

https://www.drmichaellevin.org/publications/

Here's his journal:

https://home.liebertpub.com/publications/bioelectricity/647

Cheers!

• Thanks 1

Hi, Everyone,

The next time I post about this subject and Neidan in general, I'll create a new thread.

These circular arguments and ad hominem attacks are helping no one.

And I'm here to help. 

Cheers!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Infolad1 said:

Hi, Everyone,

The next time I post about this subject and Neidan in general, I'll create a new thread.

These circular arguments and ad hominem attacks are helping no one.

And I'm here to help. 

Cheers!

I don’t think most people mind you posting it here! It’s all relevant to what we were already discussing before you joined. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, silent thunder said:

Look forward to your next sharing @Infolad1

You and Zhong infused some much appreciated substance to the conversation.

If by Zhong, you mean me, I prefer ZYD, as I note in my signature "Zhongyongdaoist AKA ZYD it's easier to type", aside from that, thank you for your generous appraisal of my contributions to the thread.

In one of my posts in this thread I bring up the notion of "formal cause" and I want to expand on it a little bit because it is a very important concept useful in thinking about both Chinese and Western traditions:

On 10/23/2014 at 9:20 AM, Zhongyongdaoist said:

the concept of "Formal Cause", a concept put forward by Aristotle, but strongly related to Plato's "Doctrine of Ideas".

And

On 10/23/2014 at 9:20 AM, Zhongyongdaoist said:

I also made a conjecture at that time that information theory (in a sense an instantiation of Plato's "ideas")

In traditional Western magic as expounded in the work of Cornelius Agrippa for example, the idea of Formal Cause is central to the doctrine of "Occult Virtues" an aspect of the tradition much neglected by the Nineteenth Century revival of magic.  In a post which I made sometime back I examine this in detail:

On 1/28/2015 at 1:13 PM, Zhongyongdaoist said:

As I have mentioned Agrippa's work has a general structure in which the first chapter introduces a topic and subsequent chapters develop it, thus the section on Occult Virtues:

and related to such Daoist concepts as Wuwei here:

On 11/11/2018 at 6:49 AM, Zhongyongdaoist said:

I found Western Classical Philosophy particularly Aristotle's Four Causes and his concept of the "unmoved mover", better translated as "unchanged changer", to be very useful in modeling wu wei.  There are passages in both the Neiye and the Dao De Jing that support this comparison, especially in regard to the notion of "the One".  I have posted on these ideas in several places, but if you are interested I can work up a post and some references for here.

As the above posts develop they examine the idea of Formal Cause and how it relates to the topics.  I hope these posts will be interesting and informative.

ZYD

• Like 2