Iri

Noob Question About Energy

I noticed some qigong schools advice to practice outside ‘to not obstruct energy from flowing in’. But goodness it’s energy! It has no limits, can it go as far as Earth’s core, through all its layers, and beyond. How could thin material walls of my home ever obstruct it? Is it really the case? Thanks!

No question is a noob question!:o

I'm also curious about that, let's see what others say, meanwhile, I can tell you that there are some QiGong forms which you should practice outside or you will have minimum results practicing it indoors,  and there are other forms that it just makes no difference, also there are some forms where it's best to be grounded in the earth.

I guess it just depends on what your teacher says and what style of qigong you are practicing.

The question remains though - do those styles work with special energy that don’t penetrate material objects?

I suppose each school / type will have a different answer depending on what energy they are working with and where they are working; what the inside and outside places are like .

There is a vast difference between  martial arts training in the hall  than outside , for a variety of reasons .  Western traditional magick is often worked inside , in a temple or Lodge , while pagan stuff like Wicca is worked outside in nature and there is a difference  and reason behind this .

In some initiatory bodies in the west , the first series is done pretty much 'in nature' , even if symbolically *  ,   the next  in lodge , then in 'chapter' then in 'hermitage ' .

One difference in the energy is the result of the energy coming into you or the energy generated due to the effect indoors or outdoors has on you  psychically .

* one successful; set up we had was a 'temple'  (  cheap and temporary  made from bamboo and black building plastic walls, open to the night sky , sand floor ) that was it, no other stuff except some basics in the middle  . It worked unexpectedly well ; in the dim lighting from the central candle faded out just as ones vision reached the black  walls , allowing one's imagination to extend the space  and feel like you where in the middle of a desert wasteland at night *  or add whatever the 'imagination' might throw up  .... a few saw 'others' in the shadows witnessing the ceremonies )

* the 'scenario' of the first initiation .

A Lodge is usually set up to reflect nature as shown to us in the cosmos  -   the heavens and asterisms , and their confluence of forces . 

8 hours ago, Iri said:

not obstruct energy from flowing in

There are many energies including what the Hindu texts refer to as the five electricities.

Thus energy comprises every plane of existence and beyond into the five electricities.

Energies are intelligent - since they are the bodies of elementals.  Elementals have purpose and therefore preferences.

Feng Shui texts give some principles for managing energies in/on the landscape.

The planet has horizontal and vertical meridians.

Geometry is central to management of some energies

On 5/17/2023 at 12:18 PM, Iri said:

I noticed some qigong schools advice to practice outside ‘to not obstruct energy from flowing in’. But goodness it’s energy! It has no limits, can it go as far as Earth’s core, through all its layers, and beyond. How could thin material walls of my home ever obstruct it? Is it really the case? Thanks!

There can be alternative reasons for doing it outside in general... a school may want the best results and most safeguards. Safeguards are not often talked too much about as Qigong is Mind-Body-Energy and if you are generally careful to follow instructions, and work with a person or group where you can get feedback and assistance, then you are usually going to see some results without problems.  So if you keep it simple enough, you can do it anywhere.

One important aspect is 'resistance' which hinders the Qi flow. You want to be as open as possible in Mind-Body-Energy.  Some will say that the more intent you try to use, the more issues that can occurr... thus they advocate more non-intent. I was more into Medical Qigong and intent and safeguards were rather important. So that is another level.

But I would recommend you test out inside vs outside. You can do some still or movement stuff inside, and then outside try it again. Also, outside, you can 'hug' trees; the bigger the better. If you find a spilt in the huge branches, walk around the tree, stopping every two steps to feel the tree, yes, hands extended to tree about 2 inches away to feel it. 

• Like 2