Sign in to follow this  
Ajay0

Baba Lokenath on the path to a peaceful and happy life

A discussion between the enlightened sage Baba Lokenath and a disciple, on the theme of leading a peaceful and happy life through awareness...

https://babalokenath.org/pages/teachings

To the question, “What is the path to a happy and peaceful life?” Baba spontaneously replied, “Do whatever you like, but do it consciously, with a sense of awareness.”

The questioner, however, continued, “If You give me permission to do as I please, then what would You say if I hit somebody’s head with a stick?”

Baba smiled and replied, “Do it and see. I asked you to perform all actions consciously. Once you become conscious and aware, you will find that your conscience will prevent you from hurting anyone.”

The evils in society are perpetrated because awareness is absent. All evil actions are the result of unconsciousness.

To seekers of truth and bliss Baba gave another fruitful instruction. “If you intend to become spiritual, you must analyze your actions and thoughts each day before you go to bed at night. You must assess the good actions and evil actions and come to a firm resolution not to repeat evil actions anymore.”

A seeker should try to practice all activities in a state of awareness. This is the most important “abhyasa-yoga” or spiritual practice for the aspirant. Most recurring actions that flow from lust, anger, greed, jealousy and the like manifest only in a state of unawareness. The seeds of these tendencies lie dormant in the subconscious layers of the mind.

A similar article and teaching by Sri Sri Ravi Shankar...

https://wisdom.srisriravishankar.org/the-importance-of-awareness/

I would like to tell you a story about a saint. A thief once came to a saint and said, “See, I can’t stop stealing. I am a pathological stealer. What do I do?” The saint said, “Look, I’m not going to tell you not to steal, but I am going to advise you to steal with awareness. Whenever you try to steal something, first look at your hand and know what it is going to do, and then with that awareness, go steal something.” The man came back to meet the saint after three months, and said, “Swamiji, it was impossible! I could not steal with awareness.”

The same happens with anger. Anger comes as a sudden outburst, as we commonly say, “I lost it.” What is it that you lost? Nothing but awareness.

To do something destructive, all you need is momentary passion, an impulse. You can evoke passion in a person and he can go and destroy something. But to do something creative, we need more than passion. What we need is awareness. We need a certain focus. 

On 4/12/2023 at 5:31 AM, Ajay0 said:

A discussion between the enlightened sage Baba Lokenath and a disciple, on the theme of leading a peaceful and happy life through awareness...

https://babalokenath.org/pages/teachings

maybe a better term would be un-conscience-ness,  for evil is not unconscious per-se, more like willfully diabolical, (etc.)

that is unless the term consciousness is solely equated with "natural" goodness... 

20 hours ago, old3bob said:

maybe a better term would be un-conscience-ness,  for evil is not unconscious per-se, more like willfully diabolical, (etc.)

that is unless the term consciousness is solely equated with "natural" goodness... 

Unconsciousness or body-consciousness is the term used generally by Advaitan or nondual masters. 

I have elaborated on this theme in this thread of mine...

... for evil is not unconscious per-se, more like willfully diabolical, (etc.)that is unless the term consciousness is solely equated with "natural" goodness... 

Every vice is but a strong desire in the form of craving or aversion, and all vices like lust, greed, hatred and consequent crimes like rape, paedophilia, robbery, murder can be traced back to such strong desires. 

There have been criminals who have known such activities to be ethically wrong, but have acted upon them insensibly  due to the emotional energy of the desires driving them. They were repentant later on and seemed to be manipulated by strong desires they were unable to discipline within themselves,  at that point in time.

The legal term 'Crimes of passion' is a popular expression or phrase used frequently and widely.  The 'passion' implies the strong emotional energy of the desire in the form of cravings or aversions, that may cloud the reasoning and clarity of the intellect.

Hence the reason  why the term 'unconscious' is used. It can also be used to signify lack of awareness or mindfulness. 

'Pure consciousness' is a term regularly used in Advaita and Hinduism to denote consciousness cleansed of all vasanas or psychological impressions that are the seeds of these cravings and aversions. It is associated with the natural state and enlightenment.

Edited by Ajay0

18 hours ago, old3bob said:

there are other types of beings without human sensibilities (and humans who basically are no longer such, although only "God" knows their whole story,  anyway it would be a mistake to expect human sensibilities or human nature  of them or to be applied to them... 

There are hardened criminal mindsets, who may not feel remorse or repentance like the average offender and may perform pre-meditated criminal actions of a particularly diabolical nature. 

This can be due to the influence of false philosophies and ideologies that create false views and resultant erroneous convictions.  The Buddhist term 'right view' is used in this regard in contrast to false views. 

Viktor Frankl, the holocaust survivor had stated that scientific materialism and nihilism were the philosophical factors that brought about the brutality of the Nazi regime. 

Richard Ramirez, the serial killer was influenced by violent cult ideologies in his youth, as well as by his cousin who had committed war crimes as a soldier and had boasted about the same.  Ian Brady was influenced by Nazi atrocities and the works of Sade. There are similar hardened serial killers with such entrenched viewpoints of a delusional nature.

This can also be due to very strong vasanas or psychological impressions stemming from past lives. 

But since the Self or Buddha nature is within all human beings, philosophically speaking they are capable of redemption and enlightenment. Angulimala was a serial killer who was reformed by the Buddha. 

It is similar to dirty lanterns with varying degrees of dirt, soot and dust on them, obscuring the light within. Some can be cleaned easily, but some needs effort for the cleansing .

btw were you partially agreeing with my, "unless the term consciousness is solely equated with "natural" goodness"  ? 

Yes, generally, 'consciousness' or 'pure consciousness' is equated with 'natural goodness', especially in advaita and nondual philosophies.

Prajñanam brahma - Brahman is pure consciousness (Aitareya Upanishad 3.3 of the Rig Veda)

Pure consciousness is also considered synonymous with love in eastern philosophy.

"Pure consciousness is pure love, and love is the highest healer on the planet - you can say, it is your natural Self." - Sri Sri Ravi Shankar

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this