Kojiro

What is your favourite fruit?

apricots are good, but a little acidic, aren't they? peaches are sweeter :D:P

31 minutes ago, Kojiro said:

apricots are good, but a little acidic, aren't they? peaches are sweeter :D:P

Are you averse to fruits that have a bit of tang in them? Curious, as this is the second time you're mentioning this acidity thing. 

Personally, I tend to avoid overly sweet fruits like melons, custard apples, papayas, persimmons, certain pears & plums, etc.

Preference for pineapples, soursop, nectarines, mangosteens, some types of mangos, most berries, even coconuts. I also enjoy foraging for wild fruits & berries whenever the opportunity arises. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, C T said:

Are you averse to fruits that have a bit of tang in them? Curious, as this is the second time you're mentioning this acidity thing. 

Personally, I tend to avoid overly sweet fruits like melons, custard apples, papayas, persimmons, certain pears & plums, etc.

Preference for pineapples, soursop, nectarines, mangosteens, some types of mangos, most berries, even coconuts. I also enjoy foraging for wild fruits & berries whenever the opportunity arises. 

no problem, in fact I do like acid fruits like oranges and grapefruit. It is just that I prefer the taste of a well ripened and sweet peach, but don't get me wrong, apricots are very good too!

• Like 1

On 11/04/2023 at 6:21 PM, Taomeow said:

We most definitely didn't evolve on fruit.  Far as I know, except for the tropics, nowhere on earth were fruits edible until painstakingly and expertly cultivated.  I have encountered wild apples and pears, e.g., still growing in some forests in Europe.  The former are very small and bitter.  The latter are so hard that you can break a tooth before you find out what they taste like.  (Like cardboard.)  Most temperate climate fruits are fruits of civilization.  Don't know the story behind the tropical ones, except for dates -- those were also cultivated, thousands of years ago, and took a while to become edible.

Another problem with immoderate consumption of fruits -- modern commercial ones have been selectively bred for sweetness (to name just one problem, there's tons more), and have waaaay too much sugar.  In moderation, and the least sweet varieties you can find (e.g. the only apples I eat here in the US are Granny Smith) are fine.  Though "moderation" is a very individual parameter.    

Just a very comprehensive article to answer this: https://deniseminger.com/2011/05/31/wild-and-ancient-fruit/

There are many other articles across the web that say more or less the same thing, including the same tiny difference in sugar of wild vs cultivar species. It can be measured, after all, as many wild species are still alive - and it was done. Wild ones are disgusting just due to high content of other non-tasty things, not lack of sugar.

From my perspective, it well explains humans’ fantastic resistance to the poison named sugar, compared to other mammals. Yes it doesn’t do you good, but it does WAY more bad to other animals who didn’t evolve on fruit. And I deffo trust science  that we evolved in the present-day Ethiopia (=tropics) thus any reference to Europe is not quite relevant. The amount of time our current population spent in Europe is too tiny compared to the past. (There were several attempts to populate it but only the population whose descendants survive to the present matters). And many populations have nothing to do with Europe at all, never heard of fruit shortages in their sunny Thailand.

I’m not a fan of fruit at all, so I hope to be unbiased;) But to be on the safe side, non-starchy veggies are your best friends^_^

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Iri said:

Just a very comprehensive article to answer this: https://deniseminger.com/2011/05/31/wild-and-ancient-fruit/

To answer what?  I've perused enough literature on the subject -- books, not articles -- so if you could give a short (one or two sentences) synapsis of what that comprehensive article is driving at, I'd have a better idea of whether it's so revolutionary as to read it.  ;)

4 hours ago, Iri said:

And I deffo trust science  that we evolved in the present-day Ethiopia (=tropics) thus any reference to Europe is not quite relevant. The amount of time our current population spent in Europe is too tiny compared to the past. (There were several attempts to populate it but only the population whose descendants survive to the present matters). And many populations have nothing to do with Europe at all, never heard of fruit shortages in their sunny Thailand.

"In god we trust."  In science we question.  

How about 400 000 years of the ice ages right before the latest warming ( which started about 18 000 years ago -- not the evolutionary age of humans by a long shot?..)  Guess "Ethiopia" and "sunny Thailand" were exempt from Ice Ball Earth conditions?  Sunny Thailand was inhabited for half a million years -- and cold as hell for most of that time.  On the other hand, during the warming periods (very short compared to the ice ages they interspersed), the average yearly temperature in Greenland was 85 degrees Centigrade -- so I wouldn't write off Europe as a place where fruits could be added to the diet when it was warm, nor Africa as a place where to this day the last surviving hunter-gatherer tribes answer the question "What's the most important thing in life" with a quick and simple response: "Meat."  

Edited by Taomeow
  • Thanks 1

Stone fruit is great! Not only peaches as I was saying a few days ago. These last days I have been eating purple plums, peaches and apricots, and man they are truly truly great. They taste wonderful, soo good!. Plums are sweeter, peaches are smooth like a mango just better, while apricots have a very good mix of acidity and sweetness.

Edited by Kojiro

On 4/13/2023 at 11:33 AM, Gerard said:

Grapes aren't warming fruits. They are neutral. I enjoy the black muscat variety. Very sweet and with seeds. I don't eat genetically modified fruit; eg. seedless grapes.

Could you give me some resource to dig into the topic of warming and cooling foods? I am interested in learning something about this perspective. I understand TCM focus on that, as also the ancient greek medicine

Edited by Kojiro