LivingLight

Signs of ones forthcoming Death

I heard recently that a certain tradition comprised of deep practioners have a hundred signs of the timing of their upcoming physical death.

This would be advantegous to the being whom knows how important such inevitable moment in time is spiritually speaking.

The anecdote surrounding their approach is that knowing one is about to die one gives Everything they blong away. Including their clothes. The nugget here in my view is that our attachments don't end at the very clothes that we wear. Attachments go with us which is why they apparently do this. Furthermore "going out" in such kind giving must also be mertiful.

Thoughts? Confirmations? Contrasts?

Edited by LivingLight

It's worth looking at this concise little gem on Wikipedia. I keep it handy for such occasions. :

Most modern scholars such as Rupert Gethin, Richard Gombrich, Donald Lopez and Paul Williams hold that nirvāṇa (nibbana in Pali, also called nibbanadhatu, the property of nibbana), means the 'blowing out' or 'extinguishing' of greed, aversion, and delusion, and that this signifies the permanent cessation of samsara and rebirth.[39][28][40][41][42]

According to Steven Collins, a synonym widely used for nirvana in early texts is "deathless" or "deathfree" (Pali: amata, sanskrit: amrta) and refers to a condition "where there is no death, because there is also no birth, no coming into existence, nothing made by conditioning, and therefore no time."[49] He also adds that "the most common thing said about nirvana in Buddhist texts is that it is the ending of suffering (dukkha)."[50] Gethin notes, "this is not a 'thing' but an event or experience" that frees one from rebirth in samsara. According to Collins, the term is also widely used as a verb, one therefore "nirvanizes."[49] Gombrich argues that the metaphor used in the texts of flames going out, refers to fires which were kept by priests of Brahmanism, and symbolize life in the world.[5] Nirvana is also called "unconditioned" (asankhata), meaning it is unlike all other conditioned phenomena.

The cycle of rebirth and suffering continues until a being attains nirvana. One requirement for ending this cycle is to extinguish the fires of attachment (raga), aversion (dvesha) and ignorance (moha or avidya). As Bhikkhu Bodhistates "For as long as one is entangled by craving, one remains bound in saṃsāra, the cycle of birth and death; but when all craving has been extirpated, one attains Nibbāna, deliverance from the cycle of birth and death."[51] 

(My Bolds)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nirvana_(Buddhism)#As_a_cessation_event_and_the_end_of_rebirth

Edited by stirling

IMHO, the best way forward is to joyfully practice like every day could be the last, with as little attachment or aversion to death as possible.

In the Castaneda writings Don Juan tells us of our personal death entity that stands just behind our left shoulder.

In my very limited experience, if the entity:

- looks into the distance, death is far off

- bends down to look into the human's face, death is coming closer

- is trying to pull the human out of its body, death is within a few days.

On occasion it may be possible to discourage the death entity.  Kicking it in the shins seemed to work at least once.

If there is no death entity in place, then it may be that the human is immortal.

I found the personal death exercise very useful.

For example I knew well a woman whose mother had dementia and had been in a nursing home for a decade. 

I asked the woman if it was time her mother moved on.  She agreed so we asked the mother's personal death to take her.  Nothing happened.

A year later, we tried again and the mother was gone within the week.