Sign in to follow this  
Wayfarer64

The Fine Structure Constant

1/137 is known as the fine structure constant. It pops up in the mathematics of cosmological physics. If our reality relies on consciousness to exist, then perhaps to obtain ONE there are 137 levels of consciousness to realize as the path? Just an extrapolation of notions combining many interests...Or perhaps there are 137 universes that coexist in our reality? Today's politics surely points to separate thought-based universes in a reality seemingly shared! Bringing science and spirituality together is just one of my hobbies I 'spose. Stay well on your paths my friends.

• Like 1

Bringing science and spirituality together  ?

I suppose it is as spirituality could be defined as anything really .    Even what you wrote above, which I am trying to make sense of . I cant seem to get much sense out of it  ... what you are saying about the science side  as   this constant , which relates to  another constant determining the strength between electrons and protons  but the theory does not predict the values, so it needs to be found experimentally, which  relies on observation and experiment  to see how measurable factors define the system and measure its behavior (its ' empirical parameters ) in the Standard Model of particle physics within which its value is not determined .

The spiritual comparison with this , as I said above , could be anything since spirituality is undefined , even generally .

IMO the better approach is to compare science and hermetics ... where we can see hermetics as a branch of ' spiritual science ', then we compare the 2 'sciences' to see if hermetics ( with proper understanding ) can be a valid 'scientific' expression. Also hermetic principles are  defined , unlike spiritual principles .

One brief and simple example , again using  the Standard Model is  four basic forces of physics ; their function and mode of action seems to fit in rater nicely  with the hermetic idea of the four elements and their specific  function and mode .  And the hermetic model - or what is suggested within it  ;  mainly that 'Earth'  ( manifest reality ... the 'hard solid stuff' } is not merely one of the four elements  but a 'product' of the other three , when transposed on to the  Standard Model , with this in mind , might give insight into why the Unified Field theory ( which has not been 'unified on all 4 levels  ... they cant fit 'G' into it , although the other 3 forces do  fit )  has not been able to include  the force of gravity  .... seeing G as a 'product of ' the other 3 , might give some insight onto a 'Unified Field Theory '

Elsewhere on this site I have an extensive paper on these comparisons  ( scientific theory and heremetics ) , where I offer many examples ( this is just one example )  ....  but I guess by now , this post hasnt got any one reading it, they dropped out a few paragraphs back  :D   -    I which 'Brian' was still here  ( I remember once we where discussing a formulae someone put up ' the universal physics formula for everything .... or something like that .    I suggested 'G' was on the wrong place  of the equation . He asked where I would put it , I said , on the other side  as the second demonimator  ( yes, sic ... but I will leave it it as it seems a more apt description :D  ) .... he actually knew  what I was talking about  !  

1/137 interests physicists  as  they see it 'everywhere' .  HOWEVER  , although spirituality is undefined , science certainly is not . AND  when we look into 1/137 'scientifically' .... it evaporates , just like 'spirituality' .  and 'The fine structure constant isnt even 1/137 . not accurately .... and this is supposed to be science .... a 'rounded up number ' ???? 

" the number has no associated units, so it’s not dependent upon our arbitrary systems of measurement. " so, in formulas it is represented as letter 'alpha' .  And   ...

" But here’s the bottom line: Like π, α is simply a fact of life, a number to be plugged into a formula to calculate an answer, like calculating light emission from an atom. The number itself comes from the need to calibrate the mathematics behind quantum mechanics to match experimental observations. In the same way that a map needs a scale factor to translate inches on the paper (or screen) to miles on the ground, mathematical physics theories need scaling numbers to match data.

Some physicists and science enthusiasts are hunting for a deeper meaning, but there isn’t one. "

https://bigthink.com/hard-science/number-137-physics/

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Nungali said:

…   I which 'Brian' was still here .... he actually knew  what I was talking about  !  ...

Oh, just looked up the profile of ‘Brian’. Yes, some people when they leave are irreplaceable. :mellow: 

P.S. my ‘:lol: like’ was for “they dropped out a few paragraphs back”. Yes, nobody here reads my stuff either. :lol: 

Edited by Cobie
  • Like 1

Well, since no one is reading us  .....

I sometimes wonder if things like ' value alpha ' , are 'inserted inventions' to try and make sensible theories that should work and don't work, workout  .

To explain as simply as I can , lets say I have done calculations that prove our destination is 65 km away to the NE .  We travel and arrive, finding it was actually  80 km away .   My calculations are still right .... as long as we add the 'Nungali constant '  sigma ' , which has a variable value , in this case 15 km .   :)    .

Or for those interested in quantum physics and the like ;   I had a   ' need '  to calibrate the mathematics behind my equations to match experimental observations' .

" But here’s the bottom line: Like π, α is simply a fact of life, a number to be plugged into a formula to calculate an answer, like calculating light emission from an atom. The number itself comes from the need to calibrate the mathematics behind quantum mechanics to match experimental observations. ... " .  ;)

https://bigthink.com/hard-science/number-137-physics/

and it isnt the only formula that works that way .  For example , a whole lot of quantum and particle physics does not 'work out' ... unless we postulate  theory about 'multiple universes'  -  not that the data indicates they exist at all . It is  our inability to reconcile the data into unified field theories  they way we think they should be that creates these fantastic  insertions , Which in some cases are much more fanciful and exotic  than some in  magic and  hermetics .  Then again, they can be proved  and nicely balanced in equations .... as long as certain  'calibrations' are inserted .   Of course it all has to have  validity due to .... 'technology ' ( the stuff we use everyday, nowadays )  the scientists will claim - thumbing their noses at magicians .   But they still haven't worked out a Unified Fiend Theory  ....  ( nyah nyah !  ) 

• Like 1

re the unified field thing.  my lay person, space opera theory (been reading alistar reynolds) was that rather than a unified field, there are infinite fields.  like maybe there are more fields that do not in anyway interact with the higgs field, or any of the other known fields (dont ask me to name them). we'd have no way to know anything about other fields beyond our limit of reality.  be like a fish trying to figure out what it looks like on the top of mount everest. what ever the case, maybe part of the sprituatlity side of the equation is accepting that there are things about the Universe that fish are just incapable of comprehending.  sometimes I feel contented being a fish, though sometimes it feels like I end up on the dinner plate.

• Like 2

Sign in to follow this