Sign in to follow this  
Lois

Papua New Guinea

I have viewed  three  of  First Contact ' films ; the  first films ever made of American Indians and first contact films of PNG and  also  Australian Aboriginals  ( anthropological studies ) ...   magnificent , well worth viewing ;

Full sets are hard to get due to censorship  ( embarrassment  of white people , they shot some people there  and then dominated them)

But this section of the PNG part of the  trilogy - Mount Hagen -  is 'gold' :

Big bird is coming ! 

Edited by Nungali

Professor I worked with at University lived with and was formally adopted into a PNG tribe... whom he lived with for 15 years before returning home to teach anthropology. 

Fascinating culture. 

Fascinating language  ;)  

I dont mean ALL their languages .... THE language they use to communicate wit each other PNG Pigin ... developed  from trying to understand the  English of the first Aussie 'overlords' that went there .

Heyoo boi ,  yoo pickimup carry , no buggerimup ... yoo fuckimarse , no pay, no kai kai !

hey, you ... boy (even if its a man.   'Pidgin' ... in pidgin....  is tokboi    ' how boys talk '  ... 'boy' as in ;  " Boy! Get my bag, carry it for me  !    ), pick up that stuff and carry it , and dont you drop it and break it ..... if you keep breaking it  and not doing the job right , no money of food for you . "

( or an old favourite - a Highlander explaining to another  what he  saw in the city .... his first piano :

" Big box, with black and white teeth, you hit im, fellah inside sing out nice . "

• Haha 1

Sign in to follow this