Sign in to follow this  
MASTERforge

Book/Media recommendations for Hostels

Hi,

Here is a topic off of the normal Kunlun, Taoist topics.

I work in a Hostel for the homeless as a support worker. My job is to basically sort out their issues and send them back out into the community where they now have the skills to function successfully. My role includes counsellor, motivator, teacher, mentor, anything to get them into the position where they can function independently.

I am a big fan of personal development. I use tools such as hypnosis tapes and peak performance books e.g. Anthony Robbins and Paul McKenna. I think the residents could really benefit from these. They can help with confidence, motivation, goal setting, but I have a problem. They can seem a little intense if you are not already into that sort of thing.

So what I want to do is get some introductory media e.g. books, CD's that wont overwhelm or scare off the residents. Something they can pick up and read if they are bored and happen to see a book. Its really important they are non religious as I don't want to be promoting Bog to the residents.

Also I don't want them labelled 'self help' as I find this demeaning and understandably residents wont read 'make a million in a month. Self help guide to making a mint.' This is quite a lame way of marketing. Self help suggests you are unable to look after yourself. I am more into making the best of what you have, basically 'peak performance'.

So I am asking the members on here if they can make recommendations for media e.g. books, CD's that would be suitable for a Hostel setting that could benefit and enhance the residents lives.

What I plan to do is get a good quality list of media and will purchase them from my own funds. Then I will test our their effectiveness within the Hostel by having the residents use them and report back results. Mixed with my own observations I should be able to judge the effectiveness. If its working well I would like to secure funding to roll them out across other houses. We have in total probably over a 1,000 homes under our umbrella.

So if anyone can help in this I will be really grateful.

Taught at a hostel for two 6 month cycles. Morning chi gung and taiji go good for hostel environment. Nonviolent meditative motives. A lot of crazies around the hostels...

A couple books I think are worth while in the evening cool:

Yang Family Secret Transmissions (Douglas Wile)

Warriors of Stillness 1 & 2 (Jan Diepersloot)

One of the wudang videos Oolong Rabbit sent me while I was living rurally was a Wudang 108 set that has been enjoyable to watch for continued puffs of inspiration. I watch the heck out of that thing and must have seen a half dozen new transitions into known movements, for example a transition from Golden Cock directly into Snake Creeps that I had not considered. It's pretty cool how the 13 mix and match for various flavors. I also enjoyed that one because the form was demonstrated in three different variations in three different costumes, along with time spent at the end simply slideshowing Taoist temples.

Edited by Spectrum

I'm a recovering bookaholic. $1 books and videos can be found at library book stores and thrift shops. Instead of looking for a specific book, get into the habbit of checking these places out when you pass them. Odds are you'll find some cheap related materials.

Yours

Michael

Sign in to follow this