treebuffalo

Dao De Jing Chapter 11 fresh translation

I was recently banned from posting my own translations from the Reddit subforum r/Taoism. I hope you all are more open-minded. I couldn't find any rules here that prevents me from making and posting my own translations. I use Jonathan Star's character index plus many other translations (Robert Henricks, Roger Ames, Derek Lin, Red Pine, and many others). 

Chapter 11 was one of the harder chapters to interpret so I fiddled with the active voice a little bit (although its still very passive, in true DDJ fashion). I have a detailed commentary on meaning here.

Assemble thirty spokes to create the wheel,

but let its value remain at the empty center.

Throw clay to create the pot,

Cut doors and windows to create the house,

In other words, create things that provide form,

but let the value of those things remain formless.

• Like 3

This was the verse of the DDJ that first grabbed my awareness and catalyzed my will to explore daoism intently.

When I began to notice the strong similarities with Druidic Lore and Hermetic principles I had been studying, I was hooked.

You should not receive any flack for posting your version here, several of us have shared our own verses or entire versions in various conversations. 

Welcome to the Bums.

• Like 3

My own translation efforts with the Dao are here, as well. A worthwhile effort,  one that helps my understanding of translation and commentaries.

Nice work.

• Like 2

Welcome to the forum. I am going to post my own translations as soon as I get the PPD I requested. : )

Edited by Cobie

It's not what we're doing, it's how we're doing it. 

If I am suffering from PPD, it's not because I gave it to myself. I (and my misguided translations) would be a natural outgrowth of whatever gave birth to my disposition. 

Once you read enough English translations of the Tao Te Ching, maybe you'll understand why I went back to the source material to try and understand the clumsy efforts of most translators. 

If you disagree with something I've written, specify it. Otherwise, ?.