-_sometimes

Damo Mitchell Taiji Quan Course - thoughts, experiences?

I'm attracted to Damo's taiji course as his free material online is particularly fabulous. I have read that taiji has a strong focus on Sung/Song, and it seems the course covers much which would enable the sinking of qi, and building the mind-body connection. It seems like it would build a solid foundation for Neigong, building a dantian, etc. 

Is anyone currently working through this course who would like to share their experience? Would you recommend, and how have you fared so far?

I learned the entire short form from his academy. His form has a few differences to what you'd traditionally see in the Huang Sheng Shyan 37 form, and that could make it difficult to take what you've learned to school that isn't directly affiliated with Lotus Neigong.

I've also done the first bit of Adam Mizner's Discover Taiji, which teaches a more standard version of the HSS form.

Generally speaking, I prefer Damo as a teacher. He is a stickler for teaching important details early on - moving from the kua rather than the waist, releasing the feet, and moving jing.

As far as I can tell those details come later on in Mizner's course. Also for Damo you have access to neigong and bagua with your subscription. Because of that, I'd recommend Damo's course over Mizner's for taiji - although there's not much in it.

That said, if you pause a subscription with Mizner's online academy, you can still watch older videos that you've unlocked. If you pause a sub on Damo's academy, then you're locked out of all content until you resubscribe.

But whichever you choose, you'll still need to visit a teacher at some point down the road. It's worth seeing what schools you have around you, or whether you're able to travel to workshops held by either teacher.

For instance, Mizner is holding a training week in Prague next month. That sort of thing is hugely important to get feedback on the form and correct errors, as well as developing push hands skill, which helps in developing jing.

Edited by Vajra Fist
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, -_sometimes said:

@Vajra Fist How did you find it helped with sinking the qi and being grounded in general? How long did you practice daily?

I didn't practice the neigong, so I can't really speak to how it helped in that regard. But I found it excellent for loosening and releasing the kind of tension that builds up in your body after sitting meditation for an extended period.

This type of taiji specifically has the greatest emphasis on fang song, making it excellent in this regard.

I've been dabbling with Chen style recently though, as I have a decent teacher nearby. 

On 24/04/2022 at 8:04 AM, Vajra Fist said:

How was your experience with the wuji posture introduced at the beginning? Did you already know how to sink before? 

I've recently taken up the course, and the first step is wuji until you can sink enough that there's a sort of opposing push in the spine that transforms the external act of raising the crown into an internal phenomenon, along with sinking the shoulders and dropping the scapula back till the arms lift up and sort of float in front of you. Did you manage this?

42 minutes ago, -_sometimes said:

How was your experience with the wuji posture introduced at the beginning? Did you already know how to sink before? 

I've recently taken up the course, and the first step is wuji until you can sink enough that there's a sort of opposing push in the spine that transforms the external act of raising the crown into an internal phenomenon, along with sinking the shoulders and dropping the scapula back till the arms lift up and sort of float in front of you. Did you manage this?

The wuji and the standing poses generally helped a lot in developing qualities in the body that later were used in the form. But these were mostly physical, at least for me.

The more I practiced standing, the more I could sense the minute detail in the interplay between muscle groups, bones and fascia. A small adjustment here, creates a release there, etc. A bit like yoga in that regard, as the mind gets soaked through the body.

Ultimately having the mind on somatic experience is an excellent way to connect with and dwell within the present moment. 

• Like 3